Rhode Island a he or she ?

X3 pullets
When a breeder offers to take back birds that is usually a red flag. Sickness can easily be transferred flock to flock that way. If you do get a new bird make sure to quarantine for at least a
When people tell me “only females” I explain the difficulty in sexing and if they want a sure thing then I’ll be glad to hold them 6 weeks, but the price increases the longer I feed them.
See I would have preferred that and I would have paid even more to make sure I had hens. My neighbors were cool with all hens and no rooster . 😔

I’m not sure how she sexed them . I should have asked lol . I just said ALL HENS , ONLY GIRLS . Like 20 times repeated that . I got them pretty close to just being hatched . Like the same day or next
Do you know if she hatched them herself?

If she ordered from a hatchery and then re-sold them, she could have ordered all pullets.

When a breeder offers to take back birds that is usually a red flag. Sickness can easily be transferred flock to flock that way. If you do get a new bird make sure to quarantine for at least a month.
Yeah That’s what I was worried about…. appreciate everyone’s help with this .

If she ordered from a hatchery and then re-sold them, she could have ordered al

If she ordered from a hatchery and then re-sold them, she could have ordered all pullets.
I assumed she hatched them herself. She will post online in a month I’ll have these breed or that breed . She sells already laying hens to babies. But these are good questions I should have asked. I’m a rookie lol

I assumed she hatched them herself. She will post online in a month I’ll have these breed or that breed . She sells already laying hens to babies. But these are good questions I should have asked. I’m a rookie lol
If she's posting a month in advance, she could be hatching them herself (one week to collect eggs, 3 weeks until they hatch), or she could be ordering chicks and knows that far in advance what the delivery date will be. Either one seems equally possible to me.

It’s funny because years ago I went to tractor supply and picked out 4 chickens , crossed my fingers that I didn’t get a rooster ( I do not discriminate against Roos , but my neighbors will turn me into the chicken police ) and I got all girls !! Then I pay more money to be sexed and nope. Haha.

If she's posting a month in advance, she could be hatching them herself (one week to collect eggs, 3 weeks until they hatch), or she could be ordering chicks and knows that far in advance what the delivery date will be. Either one seems equally possible to me.
Totally makes sense because when I went to her house there were tarps outside and stuff , but man was it quiet. I was thinking where are the chickens how do you keep them so quiet ?! Lol this is getting better and better.

Totally makes sense because when I went to her house there were tarps outside and stuff , but man was it quiet. I was thinking where are the chickens how do you keep them so quiet ?! Lol this is getting better and better.
Ordering chicks and then reselling them is not really any different than what a store does.

Many hatcheries have a minimum order of 15 or 25, or even more chicks. Shipping that many chicks together means their body heat can keep them warm, so they arrive alive and healthy. Shipping fewer chicks means they are more likely to die.

But for people who want just a few, it is very inconvenient to deal with that many chicks. So one person (or a store) ordering a large number, and then selling them to people who only want a few, can work out well for everyone involved.

If she buys chicks and then resells them, that also makes it easier for her to offer a variety of breeds, rather than trying to keep a breeding flock of each kind.

Ordering chicks and then reselling them is not really any different than what a store does.

Many hatcheries have a minimum order of 15 or 25, or even more chicks. Shipping that many chicks together means their body heat can keep them warm, so they arrive alive and healthy. Shipping fewer chicks means they are more likely to die.

But for people who want just a few, it is very inconvenient to deal with that many chicks. So one person (or a store) ordering a large number, and then selling them to people who only want a few, can work out well for everyone involved.

If she buys chicks and then resells them, that also makes it easier for her to offer a variety of breeds, rather than trying to keep a breeding flock of each kind.
Yes I’m sure she is buying and reselling which is fine with me . She did state she would take chicken back if it ended up being a rooster . So now I’m just waiting to hear back from her. I’m on the fence about getting another chicken . I’m not sure what breed she is offering right now.. and then I would have to quarantine . My girls free range all day in my backyard and have a routine set right now . Might get complicated if she doesn’t have a bird the same age as my girls right now . Sucks I lost a chicken over the sex , but life goes on !

Back
Top Bottom