Rhode Island Red’s comb has fallen over and darkened, she’s lethargic and hasn’t laid in months. Should I be worried?

Aww, Ruby! I have a Ruby, too, and she is the one prone to health problems.

Mealworms are high in calories, but also high in fat. To get my Ruby over the hump when she loses her appetite amd starts getting tired from it, I syringe feed her baby bird formula in 10mL servings, no more than 0.5mL at a time so she can swallow. She does not like this procedure, but I’ve seen her perk up afterward on multiple occasions.

I think it might be a good idea for you to tube feed your Ruby. I’ve not done this myself, but here is a great article on it:: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ding-updated-12-29-2019.805728/#post-11654778

The author, @casportpony, is quite knowledgable on the subject and helpful.

Thank you for your responses. Ruby’s condition has been mostly unchanged since she’s gotten over her pneumonia. The diarrhea and pickiness has persisted. She does eat a bit here and there and we did get some baby bird feed and tried tube feeding once. My main concern at the moment in the diarrhea considering it’s been going on for weeks. We have been offering probiotics in her water for the last few days. Anything else we should be doing?

Back
Top Bottom