Rhode island red 5 months

Well maybe it's OK that their beaks are clipped then. I'm more of an all-natural kinda person, but I got these from a larger more conservative type of farm. Looks like they didn't do too much of a hack job.
Oh no, mine was opening and biting, not pecking. Clipped beak wouldnt have made a difference. But hopefully yours are more kinder. Just 1 got bad enough to get rid of. The other 3 are still doing ok so far.

A hybrid is the cross of two different species. A mixed breed is the cross of two different breeds of the same species. A mule is a hybrid.
The word "hybrid" is used both ways, for crossing between breeds or between species.

Examples of crossing breeds within a species would be hybrid corn, hybrid layers like OP has, and so forth.

The word "hybrid" is used both ways, for crossing between breeds or between species.

Examples of crossing breeds within a species would be hybrid corn, hybrid layers like OP has, and so forth.
If it is used in conjunction with layer, that sits okay with me. However, a true hybrid is the crossing of two species.

If it is used in conjunction with layer, that sits okay with me. However, a true hybrid is the crossing of two species.
Do you have a source for that?

I just consulted an online dictionary, a printed dictionary, a second printed dictionary, a Latin dictionary (because hybrid is a Latin word), and wikipedia.

The online dictionary says, "the offspring of two animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, species, or genera, especially as produced through human manipulation for specific genetic characteristics."
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hybrid

All the other sources said more or less the same thing.

So if you have a source that says a true hybrid is a crossing of two species, I would like to see it, because I sure haven't seen it yet.

I agree with red sex link pullets. Meanest birds I've ever owned.
My favorite chicken I have ever had was a red sex link. She was wonderful with people, kids, chicks - never had any issues with her.
1D462208-69A2-481A-BA6F-1320B1B95D63.jpeg

Do you have a source for that?

I just consulted an online dictionary, a printed dictionary, a second printed dictionary, a Latin dictionary (because hybrid is a Latin word), and wikipedia.

The online dictionary says, "the offspring of two animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, species, or genera, especially as produced through human manipulation for specific genetic characteristics."
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hybrid

All the other sources said more or less the same thing.

So if you have a source that says a true hybrid is a crossing of two species, I would like to see it, because I sure haven't seen it yet.
Biology professor in college. That was YEARS ago, so no source.

Hybrid in the chicken world refers to the use of the bird. Not the genetic makeup. Not exactly anyway. Their genetic makeup is what gives them their "hybrid" use after all. The better term to use with chickens or anything of the same species, would be "cross". You don't call the offspring of two breeds of dogs a hybrid.

I guess it boils down to semantics. To me, a hybrid is the resulting offspring of two different species. Not the crossing of two different breeds.

ETA: This explains it well.
https://kids.frontiersin.org/articl...en two animals of the,each parent species [1].

Last edited:
You just could have ended up with a rotten strain. Mine aren't cuddle bugs but they are docile and incredibly tolerant of my kid's shenanigans she likes to hug the chickens and stack them on each other
These 3 I have left are not too bad. They occasionally will bully a youngin but not to the point of worrying. Their sister that I got rid of, yeah, she was bad. She took a chunk out of my leg and bruised me with her bites every time I went in the run. She was gone after a few days of that.

These 3 I have left are not too bad. They occasionally will bully a youngin but not to the point of worrying. Their sister that I got rid of, yeah, she was bad. She took a chunk out of my leg and bruised me with her bites every time I went in the run. She was gone after a few days of that.

HOLY SHMOLY. Are you sure she was a she?! I've never had a pullet or hen do that kind of thing. I just can't imagine. I'm not a fan of my Black Australorps cause they've got the personality of door mats and tend to gang up on the smaller hens but they've never even given me side eye.

Back
Top Bottom