Rhode Island Red gender

Dixie12

Hatching
Jun 18, 2015
HELP! We have 12 Rhode Island Reds. Approx. 17 weeks old. They were not sexed and I have no idea which may be which. No crowing yet? Can someone take a look and give me their opinion? Thank you!!
[/IMG][/IMG]

That is a pullet. At 17 weeks old, pullets will have just started turning red in the combs over the last few weeks. Cockerels would have big, red combs early on, usually before 10 weeks old. Pullets will have rounded feathers near the base of the tail. Cockerels will have long, thin, very shiny male saddle feathers growing near the base of the tail. To give you an idea of what male feathers to look for, this is my 16 week Easter Egger cockerel. Your RIR males should look a lot like him.

Thank you....then maybe I have 3 hens out of 12.....since only 3 look like her. Can you give me your opinion on this?
[/IMG]

Thank you....I was afraid of that. There are two that have color in their tails, but they are rounded not pointy. This is one of them. Last picture I promise! Thank you in advance!

Their male saddle feathers are just starting to come in. They start growing on the back, near the base of the shoulder. It's not until they reach the base of the tail that they are clearly visible. Your birds look much younger than 17 weeks old. Have you been feeding them properly, or are they just really slow growing?

I think the pictures are deceiving. There are 3 that are smaller than the other nine...1st picture was one one of those. They don't have a lot of color as far as the green/black feathers either. They have a little blonde running thru them. I believe their feed is right on target.

Back
Top Bottom