Rhode Island Red over Lavendar Wyandotte genetics

blue comet

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2020
Any thoughts on what color variations would be produced from a rhode island red roo over lavender wyandotte hen?

Any thoughts on what color variations would be produced from a rhode island red roo over lavender wyandotte hen?
Yes, I agree.. they will be black with *possible* (not guaranteed) red colored leakage.. I think Lav dilutes red also (when two copies are present).. Like what you see in Isabella colored birds.. but these offspring WON'T be Isabella since they will be black with only one copy of Lav.

Lavender always breeds as black when not bred to lavender. Black is dominant to red plumage.

All offspring will being carrying one copy of the Lav gene (hidden).. bred back to the lav dame or to each other.. should produce about 50% lav offspring.. and 50% black.

Rose comb is dominant to straight. If your hen is homozygous for Rose comb (RR) then all offspring will get rose comb (and be hetero Rr).. If she is heterozygous (Rr) for Rose.. then about 50% will get rose and 50% will get straight (rr). Test mating is a good way to find out. Comb traits are inherited through Mendelian laws so a standard punnet square works to see this.

Skin should stay yellow. Shanks and face will be clean, 4 toes. These things seem obvious.. but worth stating for practice!

I'm just an enthusiast, not an expert.. please verify anything important as I do make mistakes.

Happy chick-engineering adventures! :wee

Back
Top Bottom