Rhode Island Red, Red Sex linked, or Production Red?

DUCKOBSESSED

Songster
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Northern Wisconsin
I am confused on what these girls are. There are six of them from an assortment. Thank you for your help.

And also i was told my Cochin looks like a male. I think shes a hen. She is five months old. What do you think?

I am confused on what these girls are. There are six of them from an assortment. Thank you for your help.

This is the only one that looks like a RSL. THe others look to me like hatchery stock RIR.

And also i was told my Cochin looks like a male. I think shes a hen. She is five months old. What do you think?

It's hard to see the hackle feathers but they do look rounded to me, plus that stance looks henish. I would say she is close to lay.

Last edited:
OK so 5 RIR and 1 RSL. Thank you. I thought if the Cochin was male i would know by now. I could tell my other roos sex by three months. I just wanted a second opinion.

1- New Hampshire
2- Red Sex-Link
3- New Hampshire
4- New Hampshire
5- Production Red
6- Production Red

There isn't a Rhode Island Red in the bunch. Or at least not one that I would call a R.I. Red.

Last edited:
Looking at McMurray were i got them from they have RIR, Red Stars (same as sex linked i believe) and New Hampshire. No production red. So what would the last two be if they dont sell Production red?

Looking at McMurray were i got them from they have RIR, Red Stars (same as sex linked i believe) and New Hampshire. No production red. So what would the last two be if they dont sell Production red?

Red Stars are Production Red. Many Chicken owners use the Production Red term because many hatcheries have different names for them. Red Star, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Buffs.....etc.

There "Rhode Island Reds" are production reds... They just like to fib the truth a bit.

There "Rhode Island Reds" are production reds... They just like to fib the truth a bit.

Yes I learned the hard way that the difference between Heritage RIRs and Hatchery RIRs are night and day. I sold off and butchered all of my hatchery stock RIRs, mean scrawny little s*$@s.

Red Stars are Production Red. Many Chicken owners use the Production Red term because many hatcheries have different names for them. Red Star, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Buffs.....etc.
Outside of the production red, alls the breeds you named are Red Sex-Links not production reds.

Back
Top Bottom