Rhode Island Red Roo's

sixbabychicks14

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 22, 2014
Hi All, I have 4 Rhode Island Red roo's. August 20th they will be 4 months old. I am wondering at what age they will be able to mate to my females. They are not crowing yet, and at times seem frightened of the older hens. Does anyone have any info on when they will crow and start to mate? Thanks Cindy
smile.png

Hi All, I have 4 Rhode Island Red roo's. August 20th they will be 4 months old. I am wondering at what age they will be able to mate to my females. They are not crowing yet, and at times seem frightened of the older hens. Does anyone have any info on when they will crow and start to mate? Thanks Cindy
smile.png
AWESOME!Well,at around even six weeks they will practice.Things get serious sometimes.Are you positive they are roosters?they wont make fertile eggs though.Until they are a year.

Some things about youngsters.Cockerals(Young roosters)hormones are raging at a certain age.But this does not mean they are GONNA mate as soon as possible or make fertile eggs.Im not sure exactly why yours aren't mating nor crowing because my rooster crowed at ages 8 weeks!I'm questioning if they are roosters?Have you heard any funny weird noises lately.Take a day and sit outside with them.Are vtheir heads growing bald?The youngsters will RAPIDLY grab your hens BODY and head RIPPING feathers from it.Chasing,fighting ,and pushing will occur.Their matings DANGEROUS!watch them and make sure their ok.

HI, Yes they are mounting some of the hens and they are definately roosters because there was a little hen in the clutch that hatched with them, 4 roo's and 1 hen. My husband just came in and said they are chasing hens and pulling feathers. But that doesn't mean they are fertile?

HI, Yes they are mounting some of the hens and they are definately roosters because there was a little hen in the clutch that hatched with them, 4 roo's and 1 hen. My husband just came in and said they are chasing hens and pulling feathers. But that doesn't mean they are fertile?
No.That sounds good.They are trying to mate.

I am surprised that they are making advances but not crowing, that is not the usual sequence of matters. they generally crow first and later get up the nerve, or can't hold back the urge, to mate.

Hey!

I am only 11 and i've had chickens before when i was 6 but Raccoons got to them... But anyway, I raised my new chickens from an egg. I have 2 Orpington Buffs, 2 RIR, and 2 Barred Rocks. they are so fun! But, sadly they are now 18 weeks old
hit.gif
i think i have 1 rooster and one hen of each breed. the chickens have spent a little more time at the top where the nesting boxes are but not a lot. They haven't layed 1 egg yet and no one has crowed. i hear most of them getting louder like a agressive squak kinda. They dont squat yet... What is happening with my chickens i am confused....
idunno.gif

Thanks!
Im the chicken kid too!I may not be advanced as the audults I do for my people and the animals!I find it funny that I tend to start saying different things or argue.I feel i know alot and WE/US should be able to say what we think.(Some of you grown ups probably find this awkward.

18 weeks is to young to lay unless you have a hybrid type.

As for fertile, mine start crowing around 3 months and mounting or trying to at the same age. At 5 months the fertility rate was around 17% by 7-8 months it was just over 60% so I started collecting eggs to hatch then. It really does depend on your birds and type etc though

AWESOME!Well,at around even six weeks they will practice.Things get serious sometimes.Are you positive they are roosters?they wont make fertile eggs though.Until they are a year.

Some things about youngsters.Cockerals(Young roosters)hormones are raging at a certain age.But this does not mean they are GONNA mate as soon as possible or make fertile eggs.Im not sure exactly why yours aren't mating nor crowing because my rooster crowed at ages 8 weeks!I'm questioning if they are roosters?Have you heard any funny weird noises lately.Take a day and sit outside with them.Are vtheir heads growing bald?The youngsters will RAPIDLY grab your hens BODY and head RIPPING feathers from it.Chasing,fighting ,and pushing will occur.Their matings DANGEROUS!watch them and make sure their ok.
What proof do u have that cockerels age below a year old can't fertilize an egg? I came here btw coz my roosters aren't crowing yet but they're just 4 months old

Back
Top Bottom