Rhode Island Red Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by billyb, Mar 29, 2012.

1. kra0974

kra0974 New Egg

Dec 15, 2013
    I would cull them unless they are pets.

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Are you saying you would cull any rose comb RIR, unless it was a pet? M friends have Show stock and show them

3. kra0974

kra0974 New Egg

Dec 15, 2013
    No sorry I thought I was replying to someone who wàs having a laying problem. I have been looking for rose comb RIR.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    O I see now, I was just a little confused.

5. chickenwisper44

chickenwisper44 Out Of The Brooder

You need to put them back into a pen for at least 6 weeks. Then you can let them out about a hour before dark -- do this for a month because they will come back to their coop at dusk. After about another month increase their time to 2 hours for 2 weeks, then to 3 hrs again in 2 weeks. After that you should only let them out if they have all laid their eggs. Some times a hen will miss a day here and there. They do not always lay everyday. I hope this helps you.

6. Orp lover

Orp lover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    I just got a RiR 2 days ago. We already have 2 BO's and we are not sure if they can be together yet. The RiR is 3 months old. the 2 BO's are 8 months old. right now they are separated but are able to see each other. we hope they will grow to know each other before we put them in. [​IMG]

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    You should quarientine (sp) them for a month. Otherwise you pose risk to your previous flock of disease.

8. Orp lover

Orp lover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Ok thanks. [​IMG]

9. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    There are several people on here that have RC's. I have a breeding pair and some of their eggs in the incubator. I am going to be spending this year increasing my RC flock.

Penny

10. RedNewcomer

RedNewcomer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2014
    Marysville Ohio
    I need some help BYC members. I have three of what I believe to be production reds, laying great at the time. I would love to have a few heritage Rhode Island reds to add to the flock. What is your suggestions and opinions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by