Rhode Island Red VS Buckeye

Howdy. I agree with @nuthatched. Really depends on the chicken. I have one Buckeye who is the friendliest thing and who got picked on by the older girls, but is now one of the meanest to my two youngest. I have one RIR, Hattie, who is mama’s girl (loves to stand in my lap and lean into me for wuvvies) who gets along really well with the others and isn’t too mean at all (in fact, sometimes she’ll run away from my Polish hen!). My other RIR, Eloise, just passed yesterday ( :hit ) and she was more stereotypical RIR - feisty and dominant - even pecking at me sometimes, but would also like to sit in my lap and get pets. So, it all depends!

I have some heritage bred Buckeyes. Extremely friendly birds. You'd think our rooster was mean by how he carries his self but he isn't. Good layers, excellent foragers, can go broody. Perfect bird for the small homestead or back yard really.

Buckeyes are very friendly birds. I’ve only had one RIR (a higher quality one.) She got along with the other birds but was very basic. That said, she was the only one I ever had.

Back
Top Bottom