Rhode Island Red won't let the Buff Orpington in the hen house!

I wouldn’t say mine are bad, they are just near the top of the pecking order, whereas the Orpingtons are at the bottom. I also have two ISA Browns, and four Barred Rocks, one of which is a cockerel. The two ISAs are actually the top birds (they are also older), followed by the RIR, then the BR, and finally the BO. Though technically, one of my BR pullets is actually the bottom girl.

The RIRs are very friendly with me. They also know their place below the two ISAs, who definitely let them know who is boss...for now.

No one is getting hurt, only chased away from some things.

I have a Buff Orpington named Marshy who is the very top of the pecking order. (She is the one on the right - Creampuff is on the left)
P1010135.jpeg

My two RIRs are very sweet to humans. They rank first or second some days to the isa browns we have. They will not roost by anyone but the ISAs. They tend to peck anyone smaller off the roost if they are close unless its the ISAs.

However, they lay the biggest eggs and their eggs are not just brown but speckled. Often getting a double yolk once a week.

Our RIRs get along with everyone during the day but tend to be territorial on the roost.

As stated earlier, try a second door opening or maybe putting the RIR on the roost when she is acting that way and see if what you are doing sticks.. good luck!

Sometimes removing the meanie for a week (7 days) and then putting her back can help. I've done and had great luck. The others "forget" who she is and she has to start over at the bottom of the pecking order. Mine was so busy ducking and running, she didn't have time to be a bully anymore.

My two RIRs are very sweet to humans. They rank first or second some days to the isa browns we have. They will not roost by anyone but the ISAs. They tend to peck anyone smaller off the roost if they are close unless its the ISAs.

However, they lay the biggest eggs and their eggs are not just brown but speckled. Often getting a double yolk once a week.

Our RIRs get along with everyone during the day but tend to be territorial on the roost.

As stated earlier, try a second door opening or maybe putting the RIR on the roost when she is acting that way and see if what you are doing sticks.. good luck!
That’s about the same thing I experience with my two ISAs and two RIRs....though my two ISAs are going on three years old, and the RIRs are still just pullets. Right now, the ISAs rule, but the RIRs do hang with them the most.

I have a mint creme legbar as well who is rounding 5 months now and almost as big as our ISAs. She gets pecked at when around the food with the RIR and ISAs. One day, I think she is going to be as big or bigger than the ISAs and we will see who is on the top of the pecking order. 😉

I was worried reading up on RIRs when we first got them. They were a year old and we had to slowly introduce them. They did act like they were at the top until the roosters knocked them down a few notches.

The Orpingtons are such sweet birds, it’s hard to see them be at the bottom of the pecking order. On the other hand, one of mine, Gertrude, is a horse! She weighs close to 8lbs, so obviously food hasn’t been an issue for her. She’s my largest, and she’s still just an 8 month old pullet. She is chased out of the nest boxes by one of my RIRs all the time. As a result, she just made a nice nest for herself in the corner of the coop, and regularly lays her eggs there....when she’s not being chased out of the coop too.

One day, I think she is going to be as big or bigger than the ISAs and we will see who is on the top of the pecking order. 😉
My ISAs are the smallest of my entire mixed flock, but they hold their own against anyone else...for now. I certainly do expect that one of my RIRs will eventually be the queen hen...it’s just a matter of time.

I also have a barred rock cockerel, and he definitely creates some order out there. So there’s that dynamic too.

Back
Top Bottom