Rhode Island Red???

Mya05

Songster
May 10, 2020
Edmond, Oklahoma
Ruth is a rescue chicken, and when we got her, she looked awful, and I was concerned that the other chickens were picking on her. I have since learned that she was molting. She certainly holds her own, and instigates most confrontations, so no more worries of her getting picked on :lau She lays consistently, six days a week, now that her feathers are back. I have assumed that she was a Rhode Island Red, but she seems too tiny for that breed. I would like to know her breed because we are thinking of adding to our flock, and I would like to get more hens that lay as well as she does.

Attachments

• Ruth.jpg
    Ruth.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 19
I believe she is a production Rhode Island red. They lay more and are lighter in color than the heritage Rhode Island reds of poultry shows.

If you buy Rhode Island reds from a hatchery or TSC, you will get production Rhode Island reds like Ruth. They are easy to come by, luckily.

Last edited:
She appears to be a 'production' red. The high intensity egg laying takes a toll on their overall life expectancy and often comes at the cost of reproductive disorders (often fatal). Fall in love with them, yes; but be advised that it's unlikely that they'll live to a 'ripe old age'.

She appears to be a 'production' red. The high intensity egg laying takes a toll on their overall life expectancy and often comes at the cost of reproductive disorders (often fatal). Fall in love with them, yes; but be advised that it's unlikely that they'll live to a 'ripe old age'.
yep, we have already lost one of our hens, and there was no obvious reason why. Her name was Eclipse, and we don't know how old she was, so age might have been an issue. She was an EE. I would rather have a chicken live longer, and I was hoping a Rhode Island Red (non production) would still lay a good number of eggs.

If you decide to get some genuine Rhode Island Reds (non-production), buy them from a reputable hatchery and not your local feed store. Just saying, buying from your feed store is like buying a pig in a poke... ya get home and you find out you got a cat in that bag instead of the promised piglet :p

Back
Top Bottom