Rhode Island Red???

WickyKitty

Chirping
Aug 22, 2021
I believe one of my hens is a Rhode Island Red, but I'm not positive. I've read that they have yellow legs, but hers are green-gray.
Any idea what breed she could be? She is bigger than my Dominique
20210822_102520.jpg

Spurs don't even come in on cockerels. Only on roosters. Sometimes hens.

Looks like one, just without the beard gene, I have seen some pop up like that though...
Cockerels start growing in spurs between 5-6 months of age. Full spurs finish out pointed within a year, or two. Rooster are 1yr+.

I should add that at first we thought she was a rooster bc she "struts" like one and had little bumps on her feet that we thought would eventually be spurs. She has a single comb with little spikes

I should add that at first we thought she was a rooster bc she "struts" like one and had little bumps on her feet that we thought would eventually be spurs. She has a single comb with little spikes
Spurs don't even come in on cockerels. Only on roosters. Sometimes hens.
As in an Easter Egger? That would be exciting!
Looks like one, just without the beard gene, I have seen some pop up like that though...

She's some sort of mixed breed.

Where did she come from?
My son's class hatched eggs as a project in April. We adopted 2 when they were 4 days old. The teacher had gotten the eggs from Atwood's and was told they were "assorted eggs." The Dominique was easier to identify

Back
Top Bottom