Rhode Island Red

Jess75

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
My hen who is approximately two years old has been "puffy" looking, she isn't moving around much and when she does, it is slow and deliberate. She keeps her head down into her her shoulders and I noticed that her face seems darker but there are no spots or discharge. Her poop is runny looking more like diarrhea with little coloring. Not sure what to do. The rest of the flock seems fine.

Welcome to BYC. She is at the age when some hens will show symptoms of internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. But first I would worm her with SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen 1/2 ml of either once, and repeat in 10 days. Look closely under her vent for signs of lice or mites/eggs. Check inside her vent with a rubber glove for a stuck egg. If she is new or you have a new chicken, she could have coccidiosis, so Corid or Ampromed would treat that. Also check the crop for being impacted (hard) or soft and balloon-like. Probiotics/vitamins (or a little buttermilk or yogurt) and some scrambled egg may help her eat well.

Thank you! I will follow those steps. I did take in a rescue chicken approximately a month ago and am praying that cocciodosis didn't get introduced to the flock. I will update you on the findings

Coccidiosis is everywhere in the dirt. It's just that each yard has it's own strain or strains, and chickens become immune to their own strain gradually, but when a new chicken comes in, they bring their kind with them.

Back
Top Bottom