Rhode Island Reds and production reds, how to tell the difference?

amartinlb

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Jersey Shore
I can't find any pictures of Production Reds, particularly chicks and hens, on google and was wondering what the difference between Rhode Island Reds and Production Reds is. I'm fairly certain the two I have are RIRs since we bought them as that but I was just wondering.

Thanks,
-Anna

Production reds are a RIR bred for HIGH egg production and not to the RIR standard. A lot of the light red or orange red RIRs you see here are hatchery quality RIRs OR productions reds.

ProdRedHen.JPEG

True RIRs are very dark mahogany and are kind of shaped like a brick.

RIRF.JPEG

I hope this helps

Are these true Rhode Island Reds, or Production Reds? I bought these as Rhode Island Red pullets and they are both about 4 or 5 weeks old now...I'm thinking more towards 4 weeks.

PICT0054.jpg

PICT0055.jpg

This one seems to be a bit slower in getting feathers. The one above looked exactly like this one last week, so I think this one too will get the darker red feathers over the next week...:
PICT0062.jpg

PICT0063.jpg

Thanks,
-Anna

Oh, and the first one I posted is getting darker feathers on her tail now. You can't really tell from the pic, and she really looks a bit darker red/brown-red in real life...

Where did they come from? I personally would call them production reds over RIRs but really they are the same thing, just different quality. They sure are cute.

Quote:
We got them at a local feed store, but they said they bought them as RIRs and that they were supposed to get Prod. Reds in a few weeks (we asked them what other varieties they were getting soon) and I believe they originally came from Ideal Poultry since the box they gave us to pack them in and bring home was a box day old chicks get mailed in and it was return addressed from Ideal Poultry.

I guess I can call tomorrow while they still have their records and make sure, or give Ideal Poultry themselves a call and see if they shipped RIRs there or Prod. Reds there.

Is there any way to tell when they are older, or is it really best guess when it comes to looking at their feather colors and body shape if they are true RIRs?

Thanks,
-Anna

I have just been reading around on the web and what I gather is that a production red and a RIR are one in the same. A production red is a RIR that does not conform to the standard per say. I guess production red is just a nice way of saying a poor quality RIR (as in appearance not health). Ideal has both listed on their website so I would be curious to see if others have ordered both and have pics that we could compare?

Back
Top Bottom