Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orphingtons, or Barred Rocks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OkChickens, Dec 3, 2010.

1. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Ok, so I have all three of these breeds and I wand to stick with two of them, I want a broody so I can hatch eggs but also want a great layer. Also a hardy breed that can stand 100 to about 10 degrees. I'm considering just having RIR and Buffs. What are your thoughts. I would love to just have all three but I don't want mixed breeds. I will eventually separate them out when they go broody to hatch the chicks. Or go to one breed. What are other great hardy layers?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    My first instinint is to tell you that those breeds are not much for setting, but here lately there seem to be a revival of these breeds want to go broody. I think Cochins are fairly broody then on secong thought The Buff Orpingtons are prety good setters, I've had several try to go broody this year.
    My Buff Orpingtons are another story though.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Out of all the breeds I have, 2 of my Buff Orphington's have gone broody! Their 10 1/2 months old. I have some Barred Rocks that are almost 2 years old, and some that are a little over a year old and they have never gone broody. I also have RIR's that are the same age as the BO and they haven't gone broody either. So I'd say stick with the BO's if you want broodies!!

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If you want broody your best chance will be with the Buffs. They don't all do it, but my most reliable broodies of the birds that I have are Buffs.

As far as laying ability goes between the Rhodies and the Barred Rocks flip a coin. Not much difference.

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I would say Buffs for broodies......however, keep in mind if you have Barred Rock hens you can cross either the Buff or RIR rooster over them and create sex linked chicks.

I had a RIR go broody once. I have no barred rocks......

6. austin.ray22

austin.ray22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Cullman
    Just go ahead and keep them all. You already know thats how it will end up.

7. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Keep in mind broodiness might/will depend on where your birds came from. Hatcheries tend to bred "out" the broodiness of birds in favor of egg production.

Heritage birds (those most often obtained thru a breeder) will have more of a tendency to broodiness. This past year (2010) I have had the following go broody:

1 delaware
    2 blue plymouth rocks
    1 black plymouth rock
    and of course those silly silkies

Hope this helps a little

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by