1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island reds dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by avalov56, Jul 31, 2016.

1. avalov56

avalov56 New Egg

Jul 31, 2016
    I have had 3 of my 4 rhode island red hens die in the past month. But just one at a time every couple of weeks. They are about 2.5 years old. The rest of my flock which include easter eggers, turkeys and a couple of ducks are fine. It has been hot, upwards of 110 degrees, but they have plenty of water and shade. Wondering why this could be happening?

2. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry about your chickens, it's terrible to lose pets. Did they show any symptoms or did it happen suddenly? I have personally had bad experiences with RIR's, I owned 4 and 2 died of unknown causes. So I havent gotten any more for that reason. I blame it on them being a production breed which causes stress on their hearts. They aren't super heat hardy either so they could have had heat stroke. Again, I'm really sorry about your hens :(

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by