Rhode Island Reds OR are they?

A LOT of the new ones look like cockerels. I'm pretty sure I see at least 4 males in the first photo, and at least 2 in the 3rd photo.
The pullets in the middle photo are really beautiful :)
Agreed, a total of 6 males in the 1st and 3rd pictures. And yes, your pullets are very pretty.

At this age the the cockerels will be fighting for dominance, as well as the hens. Howerever, becuase you have quite a few cockerels, this will make it worse. I would say this is the reason for their behavior. At this stage of their life it is not unusual for them to become more skitish as they are growing their first true feathers and hormones are kicking in.

Last edited:
I think you may have gotten “straight run” the second time around instead of “pullets”. I see lots of probable roos in the babies. That would definitely cause differences in behavior from the first group.

A LOT of the new ones look like cockerels. I'm pretty sure I see at least 4 males in the first photo, and at least 2 in the 3rd photo.
The pullets in the middle photo are really beautiful :)

I'm not very good at telling red breeds apart (Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Production Red), but all of yours look right to be either RIR or one of the similar breeds. They don't look like anything really different got mixed in.

I don't know if having that many males is enough to make them behave that much differently, but it's the most obvious difference I see right now.

Agreed, a total of 6 males in the 2 and 3rd pictures. And yes, your pullets are very pretty.

At this age the the cockerels will be fighting for dominance, as well as the hens. Howerever, becuase you have quite a few cockerels, this will make it worse. I would say this is the reason for their behavior. At this stage of their life it is not unusual for them to become more skitish as they are growing their first true feathers and hormones are kicking in.
Whyyyyyy. SIX??? Just kidding. Its like watermelon, it's a risk going in. Thank you for your input. I'll keep you posted. I hope you are wrong. Ha!!

They're all what I would call Production Reds. Some people like the idea of having Rhode Island Reds and can call them hatchery-quality Rhode Island Reds. That's personal preference as far as I'm concerned. I highly recommend heritage RIR. They're such great birds with great temperaments as well. Very calm, gentle, and quite beautiful! The rose comb variety is also quite nice to prevent frost bite!

Whyyyyyy. SIX??? Just kidding. Its like watermelon, it's a risk going in. Thank you for your input. I'll keep you posted. I hope you are wrong. Ha!!
Quite right. That is, 6 if they are diffrent pictures of each bird. 6 is the number of cockerels between the 1st and 3rd pictures, not necessarily the ammount of cockerels you have.

They're all what I would call Production Reds. Some people like the idea of having Rhode Island Reds and can call them hatchery-quality Rhode Island Reds. That's personal preference as far as I'm concerned. I highly recommend heritage RIR. They're such great birds with great temperaments as well. Very calm, gentle, and quite beautiful! The rose comb variety is also quite nice to prevent frost bite!

where can I get heritage RIR? I mean I know you wouldn't specifically for my area, but how does one go about it? Thank you.

Last edited:
I agree that there are four cockerels in the first picture and two in the third. We have no way of knowing if the two in the third photo are featured in the first photo?

Your higher count of males will affect the behavior of the group.did you get these chicks at an older age than the original group? Younger chicks will imprint on you faster and tend to behave a lot more like you are their mother hen. You'll get there though with enough handling.

Back
Top Bottom