Rhode Island Reds OR are they?

Production reds aren't sex-links. They are birds bred down from RIRs to produce more eggs. They are often a lighter rusty/orangey red color vs the deep red of a RIR. A RIR should be almost mahogany in color, and built more solidly (dual purpose breed).

Time will tell. Unless you specifically order heritage RIRs, most hatchery stock Production Reds and RIR are extremely similar.
Such great information. Thank you!

They are some kind of red sex links. They are looking like Rhode Island Reds, or possibly Isa Browns.
Looking at pics on line of Isa browns, they certainly look like they are shaping up that way. Good to know. It also sounds like these Production birds end up with health issues as well as short life span. So interesting. When I hear of an opportunity to get more "heritage" lines, I'll certainly jump on that knowing there seems to be a big difference. Thank you for this information.

Hello: So I'm new to this. I picked up 14 RIR chicks at the local Wilco in March and have raised them now to laying hens. I will qualify that to say several are laying, it's a process as they are young (I've gotten appx 12 pullet eggs in the last week and all are in good shape). I love the RIR. They are docile, calm, they seem to really like each other, they are friendly to me and they are supposed to be good layers and good meat chickens. I did my homework :). Three weeks ago I decide to go all in and get more because I have the space and I hear times are going to get tough. I'm building another coop. I picked up 15 more RIR. Well they have turned out to be holy terrors and they are only 4 weeks old (HA!). They are large and gangling, with long necks and they are wild, running all over the two tanks I have them in ( I separate them into groups of 7 or 8 in each 70 gallon stock tank) screeching, pecking at each other, it's like high anxiety, easily startled, unfriendly. I mean, I just did not experience this with the previous group. They do not look like they are shaping up to be the true RIR. Thoughts?View attachment 3176403
The first group of RIR I raised were wild and skidish. Never have been friendly I got them at 4 weeks old. Good he
ns but they are not pets. The next group i incubated and they are a lot sweeter and friendly. Just the chickens are different just like every thing else, different personalities. Just keep on handling them as much as possible. That is a RIR rooster in your hand. Good luck.

The first group of RIR I raised were wild and skidish. Never have been friendly I got them at 4 weeks old. Good he
ns but they are not pets. The next group i incubated and they are a lot sweeter and friendly. Just the chickens are different just like every thing else, different personalities. Just keep on handling them as much as possible. That is a RIR rooster in your hand. Good luck.
Thank you. Personalities, yes. I guess I'll be asking around who wants a rooster...cuz i I don't. Thanks

Last edited:
I picked up 14 RIR chicks at the local Wilco in March...I love the RIR. They are docile, calm, they seem to really like each other, they are friendly to me and they are supposed to be good layers and good meat chickens.

I picked up 15 more RIR. Well they have turned out to be holy terrors and they are only 4 weeks old (HA!). They are large and gangling, with long necks and they are wild, running all over
Can you post a photo of the older ones?
And a group photo of the younger ones?

I'm thinking you're right that something is different about the second batch, but I'm not yet sure what it is. If both groups were supposed to be the same, then maybe one group was labeled wrong (maybe the first group are a different breed, or maybe the second group are all males, or maybe the second group are a different breed, or maybe they are the same breed but came from a different hatchery.)

Can you post a photo of the older ones?
And a group photo of the younger ones?

I'm thinking you're right that something is different about the second batch, but I'm not yet sure what it is. If both groups were supposed to be the same, then maybe one group was labeled wrong (maybe the first group are a different breed, or maybe the second group are all males, or maybe the second group are a different breed, or maybe they are the same breed but came from a different hatchery.)

Hello: So I'm new to this. I picked up 14 RIR chicks at the local Wilco in March and have raised them now to laying hens. I will qualify that to say several are laying, it's a process as they are young (I've gotten appx 12 pullet eggs in the last week and all are in good shape). I love the RIR. They are docile, calm, they seem to really like each other, they are friendly to me and they are supposed to be good layers and good meat chickens. I did my homework :). Three weeks ago I decide to go all in and get more because I have the space and I hear times are going to get tough. I'm building another coop. I picked up 15 more RIR. Well they have turned out to be holy terrors and they are only 4 weeks old (HA!). They are large and gangling, with long necks and they are wild, running all over the two tanks I have them in ( I separate them into groups of 7 or 8 in each 70 gallon stock tank) screeching, pecking at each other, it's like high anxiety, easily startled, unfriendly. I mean, I just did not experience this with the previous group. They do not look like they are shaping up to be the true RIR. Thoughts?View attachment 3176403

Attachments

• 20220709_174551.jpg
    20220709_174551.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220709_173731.jpg
    20220709_173731.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220709_174400.jpg
    20220709_174400.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 6
A LOT of the new ones look like cockerels. I'm pretty sure I see at least 4 males in the first photo, and at least 2 in the 3rd photo.
The pullets in the middle photo are really beautiful :)

I'm not very good at telling red breeds apart (Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Production Red), but all of yours look right to be either RIR or one of the similar breeds. They don't look like anything really different got mixed in.

I don't know if having that many males is enough to make them behave that much differently, but it's the most obvious difference I see right now.

Back
Top Bottom