Rhode island reds or production reds?

Emmey

Songster
May 13, 2020
Anacoco, Louisiana
Okay so my friend recently bought some chicks. She said they were sold to her as production red, but to me they look like rhode Island reds. Any thoughts?
20200804_000814.jpg

20200804_001204.jpg

The two breeds are very similar looking. Often times, Hatchery grade RIR are called Production Reds, because Hatcheries are not as precise breeders are Top Notch Breeders. Production Reds are generally lighter shade of red compared to RIR.s True Production Reds, are supposed to be a mix of RIR, and New Hampshire Red.
I only keep chickens as pets, and my MUTTS:love are not of show quality. Show quality is not important to me, but I do recognize a BEAUTIFUL CHICKEN when I see one.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

The two breeds are very similar looking. Often times, Hatchery grade RIR are called Production Reds, because Hatcheries are not as precise breeders are Top Notch Breeders. Production Reds are generally lighter shade of red compared to RIR.s True Production Reds, are supposed to be a mix of RIR, and New Hampshire Red.
I only keep chickens as pets, and my MUTTS:love are not of show quality. Show quality is not important to me, but I do recognize a BEAUTIFUL CHICKEN when I see one.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
I wish my friend luck too. Its her first time so I'm showing her the ropes like with pasty butt. Thank you though.

Can anyone share the physical differences between the two? If present?
Purebred RIRs are bred to a standard, whereas production reds are not. The most obvious difference is color. Purebreds are a dark, dark mahogany red that can appear black in some lights, and the feather are very shiny, especially in the males.

Weights can be different. Purebreds are bred to be a specific weight, whereas production reds are not. Often they are smaller that the purebreds, but not always.

Body shape can be different, too. Purebred RIR bodies should be shaped roughly like a brick, kind of boxy. They have long backs, and the tail should lift up only very slightly from where it meets the flat back.

Feathering is generally heavier in the purebreds, but they should never be fluffy like an Orpington.

46a3414c26a7eb25912be548fc155892.jpg
rhode_island_red_show_type_exhibition_new_breed_and_page_1.jpeg
prodredroo1_1__1_1.jpg
proredhen2_1__1.jpg
Also, purebreds are represented in the Standard under both single comb and rose comb varieties. I've never seen a production red with a rose comb.

I'll attach some picture to show the difference. The first two are pics of purebreds, the last two of production reds.

Back
Top Bottom