Rhode island reds or production reds?

Purebred RIRs are bred to a standard, whereas production reds are not. The most obvious difference is color. Purebreds are a dark, dark mahogany red that can appear black in some lights, and the feather are very shiny, especially in the males.

Weights can be different. Purebreds are bred to be a specific weight, whereas production reds are not. Often they are smaller that the purebreds, but not always.

Body shape can be different, too. Purebred RIR bodies should be shaped roughly like a brick, kind of boxy. They have long backs, and the tail should lift up only very slightly from where it meets the flat back.

Feathering is generally heavier in the purebreds, but they should never be fluffy like an Orpington.

View attachment 2322442View attachment 2322443View attachment 2322445View attachment 2322446Also, purebreds are represented in the Standard under both single comb and rose comb varieties. I've never seen a production red with a rose comb.

I'll attach some picture to show the difference. The first two are pics of purebreds, the last two of production reds.

Thank you!
Looking back more I miss Rhoda more and more. She was a beautiful ultra sweet Production Red.

What about these? Are they production reds or Rhode Island Red?
They look to be Production Red. I can't speak for Rhode Island Red standards in India or if the heritage variety is even able to be acquired over there. I will say though, compared to the US standard, they are not heritage Rhode Island Reds. Here are pictures of a pair of my heritage ones. Notice the differences in body type and color :) The comb type of Rhode Island Reds can be single or rose and mine are rose combed. Note the rich red color :)
02BAED67-7318-459A-ACAD-0B8CC06A8762.jpeg

E62E0ABC-0EE0-416C-A90D-6C48CC967E65.jpeg

26F0D5EC-D57E-46C2-9C84-D035120A522E.jpeg

Last edited:
Purebred RIRs are bred to a standard, whereas production reds are not. The most obvious difference is color. Purebreds are a dark, dark mahogany red that can appear black in some lights, and the feather are very shiny, especially in the males.

Weights can be different. Purebreds are bred to be a specific weight, whereas production reds are not. Often they are smaller that the purebreds, but not always.

Body shape can be different, too. Purebred RIR bodies should be shaped roughly like a brick, kind of boxy. They have long backs, and the tail should lift up only very slightly from where it meets the flat back.

Feathering is generally heavier in the purebreds, but they should never be fluffy like an Orpington.

View attachment 2322442View attachment 2322443View attachment 2322445View attachment 2322446Also, purebreds are represented in the Standard under both single comb and rose comb varieties. I've never seen a production red with a rose comb.

I'll attach some picture to show the difference. The first two are pics of purebreds, the last two of production reds.
Wouldn't have typed out my own condensed version if I saw this!! This is perfect

They look to be Production Red. I can't speak for Rhode Island Red standards in India or if the heritage variety is even able to be acquired over there. I will say though, compared to the US standard, they are not heritage Rhode Island Reds. Here are pictures of a pair of my heritage ones. Notice the differences in body type and color :) The comb type of Rhode Island Reds can be single or rose and mine are rose combed. Note the rich red color :)
View attachment 2690675

View attachment 2690674
View attachment 2690676
Yours are looking lovely and Thank you for the pics.

There is no standard for Rhode Island Red in India. The seller said he imported some eggs and hatched it and so the price is high. But searching here I was bit confused as it is Rhode Island Red or Production Red.
I don't care it is Heritage or SQ quality Rhode Island Red. Just want to make sure it is Rhode Island Red and not production red.

I am going to wait for @JedJackson view.

Yours are looking lovely and Thank you for the pics.

There is no standard for Rhode Island Red in India. The seller said he imported some eggs and hatched it and so the price is high. But searching here I was bit confused as it is Rhode Island Red or Production Red.
I don't care it is Heritage or SQ quality Rhode Island Red. Just want to make sure it is Rhode Island Red and not production red.

I am going to wait for @JedJackson view.
Production Red and hatchery quality Rhode Island Red are interchangeable words to my understanding. Production Reds were created from Rhode Island Reds, just bred more for egg production. Production Reds are simply production strains of Rhode Island Reds and should technically have no outside blood mixed I believe :)

Production Red and hatchery quality Rhode Island Red are interchangeable words to my understanding. Production Reds were created from Rhode Island Reds, just bred more for egg production. Production Reds are simply production strains of Rhode Island Reds and should technically have no outside blood mixed I believe :)
I am not sure other blood mixed with Rhode Island Red to produce production red or hatchery red. Let's see what's the view of @JedJackson about Rhode Island Red in my video.

Back
Top Bottom