Rhode Island Red's...

Well, my new girls are sex-links...RIR and RIW crosses. And now that they've been here almost 2 weeks, I am LOVING them!
love.gif
At first they were wild as they could be, but in this short period of time they've settled down beautifully. A couple of them are really friendly, even eating out of my hand and hopping up into my lap. And at not quite 20 weeks of age, 5 out of the 10 are already popping out large eggs. I'm sold on da Rhodies...
wink.png

Quote:
I think they use hig production strains from each to cross or maybe even double cross between the two reds.

The reason they call them "production reds" then is if you look at the Standard of Perfection for RIR or NHR a production red would have a lot of imperfections and 'flaws'. You can't get good looks and high performance both. :0

There's a reason RIRs are such popular birds. RIRs were my first birds ~9 years ago and I still have two of them that lay one egg every day between the two of them during longer days of the year. My roo was the nicest roo - I miss him - you could turn your back on him without a worry(not so for my current Marans roo). The hens are really nice, calm birds. Mine are most likely the production type.

Back
Top Bottom