Rhode Island Reds????

RIR's are a perfect starter bird. They are hearty, good layers, smart, friendly, and do
well in the New England cold. We have 2 hens in our laying flock of 30 various breeds.
They are flock leaders and even talk, yup, they talk. Bookkkk baaawwwwwkkkkk

RIR's are great for beginers. They are a heavy layer, hardy bird, and they are very friendly and curious. They will help you into the chicken world very nicely.

I have one now that wants to lay in my husbands shop
lol.png

They seem do be in a little war over who's shop it is.

So far Hen--2
Husband --1

we will have to see how it goes lol

Julie

Quote:
I purchased 12 RIR's at Easter time and they were my first ever chickens. They have been wonderful!!! I bought this breed because they are excellent layers, but they have also been sweet birds. My rooster has even been great! He lets me pack him all over and is usually the first out the the 5 I have left, to come to me. (I only have 5 left, because my other 7 were roosters and have found new homes!) I also think they are pretty! I would recommend them~
smile.png

Rhode Island Red's at 1 1/2 wks. old
DSC01807-1.jpg

Rhode Island Red's at 5 weeks old
DSC01911.jpg

RIRs are perfect beginner birds. I have 2, 9 year old hens and I still get an egg almost every day(between the 2 of them) in laying season.

I have 8 hens that are nearly 2 yrs old, one day a week I get 4 eggs and the rest of the week I get 7-9 eggs a day. Very talkative girls, always interested in everything and agile, too. When I was gone five days, my daughter tried to feed them rabbit pellets and they were so happy to see her until she gave them the wrong feed. Boy! Did she get an earful...LOL! They were so happy to see me back, I cleaned the coop that day and got 11 eggs, no fibbing! I'm trying a roo next by starting w/2 chickie roo's, one will go to my friend who has two of mine, plus an old RIR hen (she also has 2 easter eggers. I wanted more, love that red color! My neighbor wants her own flock of RIR's now so I'm supposed to get 8 Buff Orp pullet chicks tomorrow morning. You'll enjoy yours!

Back
Top Bottom