Rhode Island strange behavior - help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mama1, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Mama1

Mama1 New Egg

Nov 30, 2012
    My 3 year old Rhode Island, who is also queen of the coop is acting strange. This morning I found that she had not turned in for the night in to the coop, instead she hunkered down in the corner of the yard under Ivy and got all wet from the rain storm. I brought her in doors to warm her and make sure she's eating, she did, so I put her back out in the afternoon. This evening I went out to make sure she went in and she did not, so I put her in the coop and shut the door. Can anyone tell me why she's not going in for the night?:/

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Could she be hiding a clutch or trying to become broody. I know RIR's don't go broody much if at all. Another possibility is mites, I have seen on here others post about chickens refusing to coop, and these were the top two reasons.

3. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    There aren't eggs under the leaves or whatever she is laying in, are there?
    My second thought is that she saw a predator in the coop, and is afraid to go in.

4. Mama1

Mama1 New Egg

Nov 30, 2012
    Thank you for the responses so far, so she's not broody, she wonders the yard all day and she hasn't laid eggs in two months, she is about 3 maybe almost 4. No way there was a predictor, my yard is very locked down and the other girls are fine. I went out first thing this morning and usually she'll run to me thinking I'm bring treats and she just stood there, almost listless. I'll check for mites as soon as I have a second pair of hands today. Again thanks so much for the help.

5. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Try and check her poo for worms too, if she has them then treat the whole flock.

6. Mama1

Mama1 New Egg

Nov 30, 2012
    Thanks for all the advice, big red seemed to perk up only to get worse, found her yesterday fallen over, took her to the vet this morning, very bad news: she has cancer and is down to 2lbs, she hid it from me well. She seemed to be eating fine but she really wasn't. We made the choice to euthanize her. She will be missed.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  7. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    So sorry for your loss.

8. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. She was probably trying to stay away from the others, often they will stay away voluntarily, and sometimes the flock
    drives them away, if they are sick or injured. Nature's programming...a sick or injured bird will attract predators to the flock. Anyway, you prevented
    her from having to suffer too long. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by