Rhode Island via Texas

tammietbug

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Hello everyone. I'm tammietbug and a newbie to this site. Been a while since I joined a site or posted anything so please forgive the stumbles and bumbles while I figure this out again :)

Last edited:
Hello Tammietbug, and welcome to Back Yard Chickens! There is so much info for you here. If it ain't already typed out or its hard to find through a search, you will most likely get a very timely and helpful response. From my short experience at least. Welcome to the community. What kind of, and how many chickens do you have? Do you have any pics, etc.?

Thank you! What a warm welcome :) I have 47 out of the original 55 that were mailed to me. We lost several in the package, and a few more due to panic crushing...but essentially I ordered 2 of every female that I wanted and 6 of this and 4 of that and another 4 of these...lol. I know you understand. the wyandottes made it, my cochines are fine, the afore mentioned new hampshire red cockerel and pullet, one light brama, 2 comets the orpingtons all made it and most of the easter eggers managed to hang on. Black copper marans, speckled sussexs, olive eggers I hope <fingeres crossed> partridge rocks, welsummers, barnvelders, and I lost my last blue ameraucana yesterday. I was changing out bedding and the silly chickens panicked and trompled her and injured her neck. I had to have her euthanized :(

Sorry to hear about your losses. I lost one from my shipment of 16 the day after they arrived, most likely from shipping stress. I think the Ameraucana chicks are expensive, too. Aren't they? Not that price makes you any more or less attached. Glad the rest are happy and healthy. Can't blame panicked babies for not knowing not to trample their nest mate.

So you lost one too? Good then maybe it wasn't anything I did. Yes the Ameraucanas were expensive when compared to the others. They were $20 each compared to the Rhode Island reds at $1.75...but you're right. The cost doesn't matter much when you've hand raised that baby from a day old chick :( The vet said I made the right call because she would never recover enough to go back into the flock. She would literally have a target painted on her back. The rest are as healthy as I can make them. I had them vaccinated for mereks, feed them medicated food, keep electrolytes in their water, give them a plate of scrambled eggs in the morning and one of live meal worms in the afternoon. Spoiled? Nah, lol.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! So sorry about the chicks you have lost, it is hard to lose the little ones. Sounds like you will still have a really colorful pretty flock though, and a lot of different colored eggs eventually.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sorry for all your loses. It is never easy to put them down. Make sure you have enough room in your brooder so that no other chicks get trampled. And use a couple watering and feeding stations so there is not so much competition. If you have to, you can use 2 separate brooders to space them out.

Enjoy your new babies!! If you have any questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sorry for all your loses. It is never easy to put them down. Make sure you have enough room in your brooder so that no other chicks get trampled. And use a couple watering and feeding stations so there is not so much competition. If you have to, you can use 2 separate brooders to space them out.

Enjoy your new babies!! If you have any questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!
Thank you TwoCrows:) my brooder is 6 ft by 16 ft so there is plenty of room and 4 feeding and watering stations. The problem happened when I got into the brooder to change out the bedding. The chicks are all used to me by now since they are 7 weeks old. But I upended a whole bale of pine shavings instead of adding them by scoops. The bale scared them and I got the pileup.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom