rice and pinto beans

White rice doesn't have much nutrition in it, so I would consider it a treat. They can eat it raw or cooked. I would make sure to have grit available, either in the soil or provided for them. (I read an old study once where they fed the chickens only white rice and they died.)

Pinto beans are fine IF COOKED. Raw they would be toxic.

Last edited:
yep, and to boost the protein add some raw eggs when your done cooking it, the heat from the rice and beens will cook the eggs as it cools.
I feed 2 five gallon buckets of cooked rice, brewers yeast and eggs to my flock when my feed is running short because my feed order does not come in on tiime and they love it.

lunch.jpg

White rice doesn't have much nutrition in it, so I would consider it a treat. They can eat it raw or cooked. I would make sure to have grit available, either in the soil or provided for them. (I read an old study once where they fed the chickens only white rice and they died.)

Pinto beans are fine IF COOKED. Raw they would be toxic.
Only cooked rice. Uncooked rice swells + harms their gut.

Only cooked rice. Uncooked rice swells + harms their gut.
Welcome to BYC. That's a myth. Feeding uncooked rice is perfectly safe. I do it all the time.

"This silly myth pops up periodically, and it is absolutely unfounded," responded rice expert Mary Jo Cheesman at the USA Rice Federation. Many migrating ducks and geese depend on winter-flooded rice fields each year to fatten up and build strength for their return trek to northern nesting grounds.

Uncooked, milled rice is no more harmful to birds than rice in the field, Cheesman said. The Curator of Ornithology at the University of California at Berkeley agrees.

"It's a myth. There is no reason why birds, including small songbirds, can't eat rice," said Ned Johnson, a professor of biology at Berkeley who lectures frequently on the food and feeding of birds.
Source:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/against-the-grain/

And this:

Back
Top Bottom