1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Cornychick

Cornychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    I am curious to know how many of you have tried using rice hulls for bedding in your coops? I have used them in the past for my horse stall and loved how easy they were to sift & clean.

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Sorry, I don't know where you can even get rice hulls where I live, so no experience with it. I use construction sand in my coop.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  3. brownies

brownies Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Conway Ar
    I've heard great things about rice hulls for horses/swine etc, but would be interested to see if someone out there using it on their chickens and what they've found.

4. Cornychick

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    The only reason I am hesitant is the fear that they might eat too much of it.

5. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    I have had real good luck with using rice hulls for my chickens. I use straight rice hulls for my chicks and might mix in some pine shavings for the adults. When I clean out the hulls I put it around my trees as a mulch and watch my trees grow fast. The chicks do eat some of the hulls but I don't see it being a problem.

6. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    ever had issues with rice hulls getting caught in the chicken nostrils some were i read about this may be an issue.

7. har

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    No I have not had that problem. I have been using them for 4 years now.

8. Cornychick

Nov 12, 2009
    Sebastian County, AR
    Quote:Thank you for the input. I would like to give them a try then. I really liked it for the horses, because they aren't dusty.

9. har

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    I should add that Peterson's and I think Tyon's use them in there big chicken houses so I guess if there was a problem they would not use them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by