1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rich yellow yolks- feed or breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cariboujaguar, Feb 16, 2009.

1. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have been buying farm fresh eggs from friends, I just can't stand the store bought, and noticed that one friend has lighter yellow yolks (yet still volumes better then store) while the other has thick deep rich yolks that stick to the fork when you scramble them [​IMG]

Now that I'm gearing up to buy my own flock I wanted to know if it's the breed that contributes to these nice firm rich yolks or if it has to do with their feeding program? thanks!

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i think my RIR eggs may be darker but I was always told it was what they eat. Grasses, corn, greens, etc.

3. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like the one with the more pale yolks might only feed the layer feed, while the thicker, darker yolks come from chickens that are free ranging more...I say that because my girls yolks are more pale when they don't get to free range much.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    feed more than breed

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I know free range chickens give deeper richer yolks than caged chickens because they get to eat some green stuffs. In the winter time I mix in alfalfa pellets with my layer pellets to give them some greens.

6. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

free range is much more a Superior an egg in my book. dark and tall peaked eggs.. yummy

Charlie

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup. Feed.

Pat

8. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    Mississippi
    COOL! Thanks for the info! In the winter we plan on locking the chickens in the HUGE barn so they will still have things to peck at and in the warmer months they will have 24 hour access to 27 acres to 'graze' Of course they'll have layer feed as well and all our goats get alfalfa and alfalfa pellets so we can put those out for them. Thanks for the help guys! I love this place!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by