Right now I would...... UPDATE!!

Quote:
I don't think it's the protein level. I feed Purina Flock Raiser to all of mine (quail, guineas, roos and hens) and it's 20% protein. I've had no problems. My red sexies started laying at 16 weeks and haven't missed a day.

Quote:
I don't think it's the protein level. I feed Purina Flock Raiser to all of mine (quail, guineas, roos and hens) and it's 20% protein. I've had no problems. My red sexies started laying at 16 weeks and haven't missed a day.

Then you are blessed. I sure wish I could say that.
smile.png

Went and bought a bag of the Purina Layena feed yesterday and when I opened it this morning I was amazed at the size. The WINNER feed I have been feeding my hens all summer was 2 to 3 times larger than the Layena, so maybe the feed is the problem.

I guess we will find out in the spring of 09 since its so late in the year now.

Anyboody got any wooden eggs that are edible?
gig.gif

Feed can definitely make a difference we were running low on our regular and I asked hubbie to stop in town and grab some well the feed store in town ( I usually go to the co-op and save $$) that sells what we usually use was closed so he went to TS and got some. The breeder coop immedately stopped laying, the others slowed down well as soon as the 5 ( I have no idea why he did it) bags were gone (about 1 1/2 month) we went back to usual co-op feed and they were laying within a week. I will not run out or even low on this feed now. It is locally, well about 50 miles, milled and processed. not to mention I LOVE my co-op people so I will drive the 15 miles rather then 3 I save $$ evertime.

Quote:
no, but maybe i could send you some of my golf balls! they taste good apparently, because one is missing out of the coop!!! i think Sister Mary Agnes, the sassy pullet ate it!
ep.gif

So how is the co-op feed different from the TSC feed? I've been giving mine TSC feed (the Dumor brand). We have a co-op locally. I just figured it was all the same stuff more or less.
You think I should switch over? I really want somebody to pop out an egg!

Quote:
no, but maybe i could send you some of my golf balls! they taste good apparently, because one is missing out of the coop!!! i think Sister Mary Agnes, the sassy pullet ate it!
ep.gif

Right now I would take anything. I
idunno.gif
why this has happened.

CGITC~~~I was told to give this feed a week and the hens should go to laying. The Purina Layena, I found out, is a vegetarian feed and has no bi-products in it as some of the other brands. If this feed works I'll not use anything else but this.

I even bought the Scratch Grain made by Purina.
smile.png
Gonna save it for the winter.

So Purina is the brand I want, eh? I'm already giving them Purina scratch.

My coop mixes their own food, I think. It doesn't come in a brand marked bag. It just has a co-op tag on it.

So is the magic egg lying feed the Purina or the coo-op generic? I want eggs!!!
smile.png

Quote:
ep.gif

idunno.gif
why this has happened.

CGITC~~~I was told to give this feed a week and the hens should go to laying. The Purina Layena, I found out, is a vegetarian feed and has no bi-products in it as some of the other brands. If this feed works I'll not use anything else but this.

smile.png

my best guess is a stress situation (change) or the fact that the days are getting shorter.

i don't think the feed will make a difference. when they first start laying, things can be super erratic. not unusual until the ovaries get their poop in group. it's the same as getting double yolks...it's actually a boo boo.

i'll be speaking some blessing over those girls!

Quote:
idunno.gif
why this has happened.

smile.png

my best guess is a stress situation (change) or the fact that the days are getting shorter.

i don't think the feed will make a difference. when they first start laying, things can be super erratic. not unusual until the ovaries get their poop in group. it's the same as getting double yolks...it's actually a boo boo.

i'll be speaking some blessing over those girls!

Trust me miss_jayne they got their poop in the group after what I cleaned out of the run today. I was told that the Lysine (which is and amino acid in feed) content could have been to high. The Layena brand feed only has 0.055% and the generic brands have 0.80% or more which may be to much for a young layer.

Not sure what it is yet but I will difinately keep an update going for you all. If you find anything that may help in the eggless chicken mystery, please post it here.

Back
Top Bottom