Right Price on 1999 Dodge Truck

Does anyone know the difference between an engine between that has been rebuilt than a new engine? If so, which one if better Sorry I know nothing about vehicles. Lol

A lot depends on the skill and pride-in-workmanship of the rebuilder. As an extreme example The Sports Car Club of America has a class called "Showroom Stock". The primary rule for this class is that the cars are to be bone stock with no modifications allowed. The truth is somewhat different. There are places that for about $4000 will take your stock engine and in 10 -12 weeks send you back THE STOCKIST ENGINE you can imagine. While it will be within the rules, all of the manufacturing tolerances will have been removed. This will net you anywhere from 10 - 20% in horsepower plus an improved torque curve and much better reliability. The term for that is blueprinting.

The same can be said for any rebuilder. Some just throw new parts in, bolt it back together and call it a rebuild. Others will take the time to measure things like bearing clearances, head spacing, valve timing, piston and rod weights and adjust them. Of course all of that costs more, but spending a lot of money does not guarantee that you've gotten a quality rebuild.

That's where reputation comes in. If you can, find out who did the rebuild or where the rebuilt motor came from. There are companies that rebuild motors on an exchange basis. Some have good reputations, others not so much. Local rebuilders are less likely to have all of the equipment necessary to do a quality rebuild.

You didn't ask but one of the things that would worry me is the need for rear tires. On most vehicles the front tires wear out before the rears. This is particularly true of trucks. Now, the fact that it needs rears may simply mean that the fronts wore out and were replaced, or it could mean that it was someones "hot rod pickup truck", and he loved to spin the tires. Doing that not only wears the tires, but does damage to the drive train. An easy test for this is to run you hand over the inside of the rear wheel well. If all you get is dirt, good! If there are tiny bits of rubber in there it means that tires have been spun. Walk away or get a much better price.

I have a lot of hints like this about buying used vehicles if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
One more point that I forgot. Assuming a 'quality" rebuild, I prefer a rebuilt over a new, fresh from the factory. My reasoning is:

1. An engine that has been run and heat cycled has all of the variations that can be caused worked out of the major components. Primarily, the block, head, crankshaft, pistons and rods.
  2. Any flaws in the original castings will have presented.
  3. The new components are more likely to have been carefully inspected.

As an example I once bought a set of pistons from an auto manufacturer's racing division that had a large casting flaw in the skirt. It presented as a discoloration and dye checking proved it to be a porous spot in the casting. Had I installed them there is a good chance that they would have failed catastrophically. It's highly unlikely that the flaw would have been noticed in an assembly line environment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom