Right size for 10 chickens?

3princessesmom

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
We are getting 10 black jersey giants from TSC tomorrow. We are drawing up plans for the coop and run. I used the chicken math and came up with a coop size of 7' by 6' and a run of 7' by 17'. That seems awfully big for the run. However I don't want them to suffer because of overcrowding. We were wanting to do a roofed run so they have a nice dry area to be in. We are figuring costs now. I hope it doesn't cost TOO much. We have alot of scrap lumber in the basement but will still need roofing, farm fencing, hardware cloth, windows etc. How big is your coop and run and how many chickens do you have?

the size you're planning is more than enough for 10 full sized chickens. You might even be able to go up to 14 birds if you push it. Of course, that depends heavily on where you are, which indicates how much time the birds will be spending inside the coop.

I have 54 hens in half of a 18; x 20' building. 9' x 7' of that is actual nesting/roosting area, the rest is covered run. They are out in the pasture most of the time.

Yours is plenty large for your planned flock.

4 sq. ft in the coop, and 10 sq. ft in the run Min. So you will be fine unless you are like the rest of us and add more,LOL....................
Quote:

Last edited:
You might consider roofing just part of the run, that will save you considerable money. Building a roofed run pretty much amounts to building a whole 'nother building (shed) jsut with mesh walls instead of solid walls.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom