Right to Farm Act

Chicken Woman

Incredible Egg
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
Montana
I have seen some references to The Right to Farm Act yet have yet to see what it say's or how it is to effect people who (according to city code) keep chickens.I get the impression it is a Federal Law that is in effect and would like to see what it say's.

Anyone have information on it ?

This is what I found on Google- it's rather vague and seems to vary from state to state:

Most states have enacted a "Right to Farm Act". The statute protects established farms/ranches from nuisance suits brought by "nearby neighbors who have come to the nuisance". In application, this translates to protecting an ongoing operation from defending suits IF, and only IF, the farm/ranch operation was in existence and has not expanded its operation after the neighbors move into the neighborhood. The state Commissioner of Agriculture sets out criteria that a farmer/rancher must follow to enjoy the protection of the Right to Farm Act for each state. The criteria sets out the Best Management practices, as defined by each state. Farmers/ranchers are obligated to comply with the state criteria to receive protection from nuisance suits.

Hi, The Right to farm law is different in every state. The two best versions, Michigans and Iowa's both protect any place, not just old farms from ordanance and zoning rules. Most of the other states only protect the larger ones.
You can read a copy of Michigans Law at www.destinyfarmgardens.com
Because of this Law, Michigan is now number two in all the U.S. to diversity and amount of Agricultural product produced.
California is number one

I wish it could protect me , but i have less than 5 acres in a non agricultural area so I do not get protected and cannot get my meat animals etc etc. Sish Erinm

Back
Top Bottom