Ringneck Pheasant eggs won't hatch

nychickenman55

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 1, 2012
Upstate New York
I purchased 50 Pheasant eggs and got two batches of 25. I put in on batch and only 1 hatch, I am only days away from the next 25 to hatch and only one hatched so far with no luck so far on the rest. I have had good luck with chickens and ducks what could be the problem. I don't think there is a virus or anything the incubators are washed in the dishwasher each time they are used.

NYchicknman55

Were the eggs shipped or did you purchase them locally? Shipped eggs are notorious for not hatching very good.

There are so many things that can happen during shipping that can decrease the hatch rate (temps, rough handling, etc) . Glad to hear the second batch are doing better.

I have 39 pheasant eggs in 1 bater and 12 in another. 6 of the 39 have hatched and 1 died shortly after hatching. The 12 in the 2nd bator were due to hatch yesterday (saturday, 5/5/12) but no movement or peep as of yet.

All of my pheasant eggs were shipped. The 39 came from New Mexico and I don't even remember where I got the other 12.

I also have 18 turkey eggs, all shipped. 11 came from the same person as the 39 pheasant eggs in New Mexico. The 11 are in the same bator as the 12 pheasant eggs that were due to hatch yesterday, they too were due to hatch yesterday. No movement or peep from them either.

Sometimes you have luck with shipped eggs, sometimes you don't. I know it can get expensive buying shipped eggs. I have $165.00 tied up in shipped eggs and only 5 babies so far to show for it, but as with any hobby it costs money and we'll keep spending to enjoy those hobbies....lol. Don't give up no matter how frustrated you get, I know I never will.

Have 28 pheasant eggs in my incubator, yesturday on day 25th only 2 hatch, how many days should I wait for the rest of the chicks to hatch.

Shipped pheasant eggs do not hatch good for some reason.Save your moiney and buy the birds you want.In the long run it will be much cheaper and you will have birds to show for the money you spent.Find a local breeder and go pick them up.
In N.H.,Tony.

I try listening but no pecking, 5 were crack and I try to open shell but they wern't fertile.... the person that shipped them didnt secure them at all and were moving all over the box. Do you think the movement of the eggs cause some damage to the embrio

Yes shipping on eggs is very hard and even tho' they may have been shipped fertile with all the movement and shaking will normally kill the emboys. The shipper still should have made sure the eggs dont move and that they are secure to give them a better chance which is sad but many people do that instead of doing it the right way. I always ship mine in foam that is made for the eggs and they slide right into the hole and then I put peanuts all around that and then put bubble wrap on the bottom and top of box so even if they the post office is rough it gives them a better chance.Like Tony said it is always best to find local breeders but depending on what you are looking for they may not be there but you could always have live birds shipped to you also.

Back
Top Bottom