Ringneck Pheasant info page *warning lots of PICS*

Pics
My girl
1f49c.png
welcome-byc.gif
love.gif

My broody chicken has been sitting on 10 pheasant eggs and the first just hatched yesterday. Can the chicks stay with the chicken or do they need to go under a heat lamp?

Thanks.

Do they go broody and raise their own young? Tanks

In a sense they do go broody. In the spring they will lay a clutch of around a dozen eggs +/-. Sometimes, especially if their nest is destroyed they may lay a second clutch usually with fewer eggs than their first clutch.

My Ringneck hens started laying yesterday! I thought they wouldn't lay until March.
There are 8 hens with a cock in the pen and I found 2 eggs.
I'm assuming these should be fertile so I'm going to try incubating them this week if I find more eggs in the pen.

My Ringneck hens started laying yesterday! I thought they wouldn't lay until March.
There are 8 hens with a cock in the pen and I found 2 eggs.
I'm assuming these should be fertile so I'm going to try incubating them this week if I find more eggs in the pen.

Pheasant eggs take a bit longer to hatch then chicken eggs 24 to 28 days.

Quote: I set the eggs and marked the due date at the 24th day. I ended up with three pheasant eggs.
I then set a clutch of chicken eggs to hatch on the same due date. These will be moved to the hatcher on the same day.

Next I set a clutch of chicken eggs to hatch on the 28th day. These eggs will go into the hatcher when I remove the dry chicks from the first group.

I do this with my quail timing their hatches together. My Coturnix quail can go in the chicken brooder without issues, but I will put the pheasant that hatch in a separate brooder since I was told they are more aggressive and quick than the chicks.

Edited to add a few photos:
I was surprised to get "out of season" eggs from these

Last edited:
Quote: I set the eggs and marked the due date at the 24th day. I ended up with three pheasant eggs.
I then set a clutch of chicken eggs to hatch on the same due date. These will be moved to the hatcher on the same day.

Next I set a clutch of chicken eggs to hatch on the 28th day. These eggs will go into the hatcher when I remove the dry chicks from the first group.

I do this with my quail timing their hatches together. My Coturnix quail can go in the chicken brooder without issues, but I will put the pheasant that hatch in a separate brooder since I was told they are more aggressive and quick than the chicks.

Edited to add a few photos:
I was surprised to get "out of season" eggs from these

My birds were raised in a coop but when I started letting them out they wouldn't go back in. They are a lot like quail. I didn't have any aggression problems but they were definitely quick.

A lot of the eggs turned out to be infertile.

Back
Top Bottom