Ringneck Pheasant info page *warning lots of PICS*

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ticks, Mar 18, 2009.

1. laughing man

laughing man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    westfield mass
    thanks
    no ducks but chickens are alright

2. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Thanks for all the info [​IMG]

I am planning on getting some of these this Spring and don't know nearly ANYTHING about them! This was really helpful.

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    No chickens are not alright.Gamebirds need to be kept seperate from all other birds.Gamebirds catch diseases from chickens,ducks etc.
    In N.H.,Tony.
    Quote:

4. laughing man

laughing man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    westfield mass
    Quote:
    thank you [​IMG]
    hey my name Tony too! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  5. Moomc

Moomc New Egg

Apr 3, 2011
    A young male Ringed Neck Pheasant has taken up residence in my front yard. I live in an urban area near Seattle, WA.
    As beautiful as he is I'm not really keen on acquiring a pheasant. I'd love to give him to someone who won't use him for target practice. Does anyone on this list know someone in Western WA who would be willing to take this gorgeous fellow on as a pet and not food?

Thanks!

6. pinkado

pinkado Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    question,
    i raise phesants and release them into the wild, did 50 last yr, but bought them as 3 week olds, now i wanna do it from scratch,
    now, usually, i would put eggs under a broody hen, but, i have a shortage of hens this year,
    so heres my question
    is it true that incubator raised pheasent eggs will not roost once grown and wont breed in the wild?
    this is a major concern of mine, as there are foxes about, and i want them to breed in the wild,
    please any advice on how to do this

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Do you need any permits from the state you're in to keep Pheasants and is it allowed to release them. Do you need any licenses for breeding and hatching? I have been trying to find regulations on keeping Ringneck Pheasants. I have about 350 eggs in my incubator right now and I guess I should have gotten the info before I put them in but I had the opportunity to get these eggs and I didn't want to pass it up as my husband and I had been talking about it and these eggs more or less fell into our laps.

8. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
  9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks for the info. I will look into it. I put 70 eggs in the incubator that will be hatching around June 24th. I candled them and about half showed little to no development.

10. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Is this a young ring neck pheasant. It's in with guinea keets right now and they are out growing this one. It's 7 weeks old if it is a pheasant. When we moved the keets out to their grow pen we did a head count and 1 was missing. I found this bird hanging out below the grow pen so I thought it got dropped and that it's the pheasant.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by