RIP Bert

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by shadowpaints, Aug 7, 2009.

1. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Songster

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    MY beloved Roo lost his life today doing what any roo would do, protecting his ladies. my neighbors dog had gotten into my back yard and coop early this morning before i was even up and gotten a hold of bert. im so disraut. the neighbor said he would pay me for him but how in the world can i put a price on bert?? thats not gonna replace him... all the silkie pullets are fine thank god and they are huddling in the corner of the coop... poor girls.

here is a pic of my beloved Roo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Songster

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    i cracked one of the girls ( sex link) eggs today and found a bulls eye.. that means they are fertile... i set 3 in the bator just to see if i can get a few chicks out of berts eggs.. i know that they would be mutts.. but maybe i can have some peice of him still...

one of my other hens.. Evyle has a pretty bad gash on her breast.. im not sure if she is going to make it or not [​IMG]

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Crowing

[​IMG] I'm sorry you lost Bert. He put up a brave fight.

4. rileysgranny

rileysgranny Songster

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Poor Bert. He was so precious. I hope you have great success with the hatch and that they are all Bert's.

5. TheBarnSwallow

TheBarnSwallow [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Lit

Sorry for your feather baby loss, I agree how can you place a price tag on a beloved animal that you grew to love and raise... I must say at least the neighbor is willing to pay, some these days just say ahh shucks sorry about that....Hopefully this will spurn the neighbor to find a way to keep his dog in his yard so you dont lose anymore... Again sorry for the loss of your BERT:(

6. AnnieOakley379

AnnieOakley379 Chirping

Oct 1, 2008
    Montana
    Sorry for your loss. Hopefully the neighbor will keep his dog on his property from now on. [​IMG]

7. Serrin

Serrin Songster

So sorry for your loss. At least you know Bert took his job seriously and died honorably, doing what roo's are supposed to do! Protect the flock. I hope your hatching is completely successful and that there is a new Little Bert in there somewhere. Good luck. [​IMG]

Count your blessings. Like TheBarnSwallow said, all too often a people adopt that "too bad, so sad, sucks to be you" attitude that totally torques my hinny!! At least he showed he is a man of ethics in offering to replace Bert. We all know you can't put a price on the love and life that is lost. But at least he's trying to make amends.

I'm just curious...what kind of dog did the dirty deed anyhow? Breed? Mutt?

8. RAWR

RAWR Songster

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    Quote:aw, im so sorry :[
    just know your roo is in a better place and he died and honorable death

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    [​IMG]

IMO, a rooster that loses his life protecting his flock from predators is worth the cost of replacing all the hens in the flock.

10. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Songster

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    very true i agree... not so sure what the neighbor will say tho.. *sigh* i havent seen the dog all day i have a sneaky suspiscion that he is chained up or gone..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: