RIP Froggy

Eisenkrote

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
Vero Beach, Florida
IMG_4860.jpeg

We have six hens, 3 ducks and a drake. And we recently picked up 10 pullets from Rural King down here in Florida.

Right off the bat we lost two chicks. They weren’t in the best shape from their stay in the big box store. And it hurt to lose them, but I consoled myself with the fact that we did everything we could to bring them back from the brink.

Two weeks in and the remaining eight were doing well. They were starting to lose their fuzzy down and grow proper feathers, and even getting a hint of a ridge that would eventually be a comb.

It may be wrong to play favorites, but Froggy was mine. She was the first to perch, and was starting to do these effusive flights from the crow bar perch in their cage to the far side. She had spunk, and was setting a fine example for the other chicks.

This morning I was tending to their cage. We kept them in a dog cage in our garage, and reinforced the cage with chicken wire so the chicks wouldn’t squeeze through the bars.

I pulled their watering dish out to clean the wood chips out and replenish their water. And maybe if I’d been more careful, that would have been fine. The chicken wire outside the cage made latching the door tricky. I swear I’d latched it good before walking out of the garage. But apparently not. Froggy karate kicked across the cage, bounced off the door and embraced her new freedom.

I heard her “cheep” and came running but it was too late. Our pup was at the door of the cage, “caring for” the new baby who flew to her from out of the sky.

Chicks are fragile, and our pups gentle proddings were too much for Froggy. She expired in my hands.

Please don’t misunderstand. This isn’t Froggy’s fault for embracing her freedom. This isn’t our pups fault. This is on me. And if I’d shooed the dog away, or thought to put a caribiner clip on the door before walking away, Froggy would still be with us. And I feel a horrible responsibility for losing her.

The remaining chicks were moved to a very secure cage in our coop. There is now a latching gate, a coop door, and a locked cage between our pups and our chicks.

I’ve always been very diligent about bearing the consequences of my actions. But I’m also horrible at recovering when the consequences of my actions are suffered by others.

This one hurts. And I’m sorry for any pain this causes you reading about my irresponsibility, because I know you all love your babies and want the best for ours.

Anyway. Froggy deserves a remembrance. And I need to get past this because our chicks, hens and ducks need a diligent, responsible dad caring for and protecting them.

I’ll bounce back and do better. It’s just a rough day here.

I am so very sorry about the loss of your Froggy. It's especially tough when you feel the weight of responsibility for the loss.

What happened was an accident; there was no intention negligence on your part, no malicious intent by the dog and certainly no blame on little Froggy who was just eager to check out the big world.

Nothing anyone will say will make the hurt go away, I know. You've already taken steps to prevent any future accidents. Take care of yourself, too.

I just saw this post and am so sorry about Froggy. Accidents do happen no matter how hard we try. I hope that you are feeling better and we always learn from our mistakes and sometimes it is the hard way. The biggest mistakes I have made in life have been the ones I never forgot. Take good care of yourself and know that things do happen but that is how we learn.

oh, i thought your chicks actually got a frog .. the other day mine were playing 'catch me' with a good sized frog out there, one would grab it and run around the house, then another would snatch it and run .. youd think it was a steak or something lol ..

Back
Top Bottom