RIP to my Entire Flock.

You can do this, Nick. If you need more chicks at some point, be happy to let you have a few. Will be hatching some starting in a couple of weeks, plus, I'll give broodies eggs as they come along. Won't be keeping any really, except for the bantams, until the flock numbers dwindle a bit, so there will be kids available from time to time, if you mom would come all the way back up here again.

Ellie is laying again-she produces mostly pullets and I've never seen a dwarf from her, at least not so far. I'll be including her eggs when I do hatch if you want more Delawares.

Last edited:
You can do this, Nick. If you need more chicks at some point, be happy to let you have a few. Will be hatching some starting in a couple of weeks, plus, I'll give broodies eggs as they come along. Won't be keeping any really, except for the bantams, until the flock numbers dwindle a bit, so there will be kids available from time to time, if you mom would come all the way back up here again.

Ellie is laying again-she produces mostly pullets and I've never seen a dwarf from her, at least not so far. I'll be including her eggs when I do hatch if you want more Delawares.

You are such a sweetheart.
It hurts to lose them, but especially when it's something that you have done. I lost one to a car (my favorite). Lessons learned the hard way stick so much better. I just hate that you had to learn yours this way. Good luck rebuilding your flock.

I'm so sorry about your loss.
hugs.gif

I am sorry that you lost your flock. I have had raccoon problems in the past and know the shock and loss involved in finding what remains in the morning. One thing that I will warn you of is that if it was a raccoon once it has successfully gotten into a coop it will be back and the only way to keep birds safe is to make a tightly built strong coop. Check and make sure you dont have any gaps or holes that a raccoon could get a hand through and that the bottom and top edges of the pen are secure and there is nowhere that a raccoon hand could get in through and get ahold of a bird. Hope things go better for you with your next flock.

Thanks, Cyn. I'm really just thinking BR's, heritage Dels and assorted Ameraucanas. If you have any please give me a shout! How have the ones from the big hatch last year grown to be?

Once again, thank you to everyone for your condolences. It really is comforting :)

P.S. Yay Ellie!!

Last edited:
That is a total bummer... I recently lost my only Polish I adopted from the feed store. My girls free range (I live in the city) and I think my corgi "spooked" her and she ended up in our swimming pool :( Never had a problem before, but now I am building a run and they will only free range when I can monitor them!!! My first chicken died in my arms over 10 years ago and I have had special girls after losing her.... You will get a chance to hand pick your next flock and good luck!!!!

Lisa

I'm so sorry. I couldn't imagine how I would feel if I lost all my chickens but I can relate. A few weeks ago my (sometimes absent-minded) husband let his favorite dog run loose after I tried him, so that I could let my chickens have a little free range. I went to town (after I tied the dog) when I came back I found 3 dead hens and my only roo was dead. I was cussing, screaming, and crying as I chewed out my husband for his mistake. Though I still have 28 left, you would have thought I lost a child. Don't get discourage! Because of his mistake now I'm getting 34 new baby chickens in March, even though before this incident he told me "No more chickens!"

Back
Top Bottom