Ripley, the 4 legged chicken!?

Pics
See p 22, she died in Jan 2020
She was pretty & pretty unique. When I worked for Tyson's Foods (18 yrs) we'd get an occasional 3-4 legged chickens & I'd joked at times that I was developing a double breasted chicken. What most people don't realize how many of these 6 week chicks being processed had cancer & some were so advanced the whole chicken would be discarded & condemned to the Pet Food Dept & it's like this in practically all chicken processing plants. That's why most of the USDA Inspectors that I knew would buy only whole chickens because it's impossible if the parts came off a diseased carcasses & some of the parts condemned. Having grown up on a farm we never butchered a sick or injured animal so I prefer raising our own meat. Thank you for the update, I'm new to here & learning how to maneuver around.

She was pretty & pretty unique. When I worked for Tyson's Foods (18 yrs) we'd get an occasional 3-4 legged chickens & I'd joked at times that I was developing a double breasted chicken. What most people don't realize how many of these 6 week chicks being processed had cancer & some were so advanced the whole chicken would be discarded & condemned to the Pet Food Dept & it's like this in practically all chicken processing plants. That's why most of the USDA Inspectors that I knew would buy only whole chickens because it's impossible if the parts came off a diseased carcasses & some of the parts condemned. Having grown up on a farm we never butchered a sick or injured animal so I prefer raising our own meat. Thank you for the update, I'm new to here & learning how to maneuver around.
I agree very much. When consumers value price point over all else, you get these sorts of issues. I also grow my own meat, firstly because I'm can, and because I know doing it myself will guarantee the health of my food.

Back
Top Bottom