Ripped toenail

Jabbok

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
Funkytown, USA
My hen has a very bloody toe. I cleaned her up (and the coop) this evening and put some antibiotic ointment on it. The ointment didn't last long, so I tried some flour to help stop the bleeding. The coop is such a mess - again. She keeps scratching at her head with her sore toe and it keeps bleeding because of it and she keeps trying to clean the blood off her head. Can you bathe a chicken to get rid of the blood? If so, what do I use on her for soap or cleanser? I don't want the others hurting her.

Thanks!

This is our first chicken injury.
sad.png

You can bathe her using shampoo or even dishwashing liquid. Be careful not to start the toe bleeding again; if it does, try using alum, cream of tartar, or even flour or baking soda to get the bleeding stopped quickly. You may have to bandage the toe to protect it and keep her from reinjuring it. You may need to separate her from the others, b/c they WILL pick at any injury they see on a flockmate. You might also use BluKote or something like that so it doesn't look red and draw the attention of the others.
Edited to add: Welcome to BYC!
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I'm going to go check her this morning. I'm a little nervous about checking on her and I hope she did ok. I'm dumb, but what would you use to bandage a foot on a chicken that they can't pick off?

Back
Top Bottom