1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR 11 weeks, supposed to be hen but looks more like roo. Help!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tabelu89, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Tabelu89

Tabelu89 New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    Eastern Idaho
    [​IMG]

Got this rhode island red along with another rir and 2 barrod rocks May 4th. Umfotunatly we lost the other rir and one of the br's aswell. All were supoosed to be pullets. This one however is looking more like a roo. I am not exepierenced at this and dont have any other rir to compare to. Chika(hen name, will be chiko if roo) had to be removed from the coop yesterday because my other brown leghorn roo has been attacking her. This is another reason i started to doubt wether she is really a she or if chika is actually a chiko. This is my first attempt at raising chickens. Any help is gratley appriciated.

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like you've got a handsome cockerel on your hands!

~Alex

3. Tabelu89

Tabelu89 New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    Eastern Idaho
    Thank you for the response. That is a little disapointing. That means i have four roosters and 4 hens. That makes 2 cockerals that were supposed to be pullets.

4. Tabelu89

Tabelu89 New Egg

Jul 20, 2016
    Eastern Idaho
    Also was wonderimg if i should keep the rir and leghorn seperate. Especially since the leghorn has already made the rir bleed.

5. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry, @Tabelu89 . [​IMG] It's very disappointing when you get unexpected cockerels, I know full well.

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by