1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR crossed with Buff?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tom Gant, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Tom Gant

Tom Gant Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2008
    Has anybody ever done this cross and what were your results?

Thanks,

Tom

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Tom,

I do not know how dark your RIR are but you should get a color between the orpington and RIR. The color will not be red and will take on a orangeish hue. That is if the birds do not contain dominant white. Then you will get some white and red birds.

Tim

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  3. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup we had something similar happen about 6 years ago, however we used production reds & buff orps.. Tim, its right what we got with the production type rir's..It was a short lived project..didn't like the results personally, but its was fun to see what we got from it, very mixed bag of chick colors..ranging from med light red to redish orange

A Friend of ours took them all, all for egg production..which most still lay pretty good for there age for them..

charlie

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Check my page(website)and scroll down to Papa,my Alpha roo. He is a cross between a RIR roo and a buff orp hen. He's a good one.

5. jadude

jadude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    sc
    gold sex link

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Meg is a cross between a very dark breeder quality RIR rooster and an exhibition size Buff Orpington hen. She is very Orpy, inc white legs. And she's extremely heavy!
    [​IMG]

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    OHHH - she is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Put Meg in with Suede! [​IMG]

9. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    [​IMG]

This is an old picture but it's a partridge rock roo over a buff orp hen and the color is very similar to Meg.She is much bigger now and her tail feathers have grown back in fully after someone decided they wanted to eat them.lol She is the sweetest thing and is now 22 weeks old and I'm looking for an egg anyday now.She loves to perch on my shoulders and I plan to get an updated picture this weekend.

10. Tom Gant

Tom Gant Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by