RIR going broody????

SGM

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Easley, SC
I have 7 RIR hens and 1 roo. The past few weeks they've started laying. I see one or two in the same box off and on throughout the day. But there's one little pullet who seems to be hogging the box quite a bit. Granted there's more than one box but of course she picks the one everyone likes laying it.

Anyway, do you think she's one of the ones who hasn't started laying yet and is just getting a feeling for laying or could she be going broody? She's not there 24/7, but quite a bit and not nesting all that much, but does build a nest and sits.

I bet she's getting ready to lay. I love watching my young pullets"play house". They will get in the nest and fix a place and pull the bedding "just right". They are so cute. One of the funniest things I saw was when my first black sex link began laying. she layed in a milk grate which was in the chicken yard. When she got in,all of the other pullets crowded around to watch,some stretching their necks way out to get a look. Finally,she had enough of the publicity,raised straight up and screeched at them. It was as though she were saying"Do you mind? I'd like some privacy here!"

LOL I have 7 and I'm not sure who all is laying. They look so much alike that I can only tell a couple apart.

It took me awhile to find out which one of my pullets where laying.One day one of them wanted in the house sooo bad, so I let her in and then she just hopped on the couch and laid an egg!!It was so funny! Then she just got up and walked back out.

Back
Top Bottom