RIR hen with bubbly eyes, palish around eyes

IndianaHomestea

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 20, 2012
New Palestine, Indiana
A few months back I had to cull one of my hens because her eyes became bubbly and really swollen, full of puss around them. When she shook her head puss would fly out. For the past 3 or 4 weeks I've been fighting it with another hen.

In this case it doesn't seem to be as bad... she isn't swelling nearly as much, but her eyes are always bubbly. However, it just isn't going away and her face in general just doesn't look healthy... the red tissue around her eyes that is normally red is often pale... a little swollen...

A few details:

- I have her separated from the rest of the flock.
- I've been giving her ACV (braggs) in her water since I noticed it, so for nearly a month.
- Over the past week I've put a cap full of bleach in her water on two occasions.
- She's young... nearly full grown, but hasn't laid yet.

For the one I had to cull, I had not had a chance to treat it because it was already very bad by the time I noticed it. They're free range, so there are often 4 or 5 days (or more) that go by without getting a good look at any one chicken.

Any idea what this is? From what I've gathered in reading other threads, it sounds like it might be a respiratory infection.

Any thoughts on treatment? I'm not willing to go to a vet. I don't want to cull her, but I will if I can't treat it without going to the vet.

Well, she got worse so I'm going to have to cull her in the morning. I'm not sure what it is, but the ACV didn't cure it, although it seemed to initially help... it got worse though. And neither did the bleach water. If anything she seemed to get worse after giving her the bleach. Just FYI for anyone interested.

I did with the first one and it didn't seem to help. I think it's something internal. I think I'm just going to cull her... been fighting it for too long and probably not good to keep her in the flock anyway, just in case. I appreciate the suggestion though.

oh - i just posted a picture of my hen with bubbles in her eyes in a new thread.
I'm hoping it's not the respiratory problem as there is no nasal discharge / sneezing or anything.
You hens didnt show other symptoms?

Last edited:
No, but I secluded her as soon as I noticed it. And I THINK she got it from another hen who I also had to cull. How is yours?

She's fine. It was just an eye irritation / infection. I treated with eye wash and some antibiotic eye ointment that I had.

I hope your culling kept the rest safe....

Sorry I can;t be much help otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom