RIR lethargic, soft shell egg, no shell egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by weinerdog, Aug 12, 2011.

1. weinerdog

weinerdog New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    I have a 1 year old Rhode Island Red. Three days ago noticed she was sitting around, and had laid an egg with a very thin shell that had broken from her weight. Next day still lethargic laid a no shell egg. Removed her from the flock and isolated in a dog kennel yesterday, as she seemed to have a yellow loose stool. She would walk a short distance when you let her out, and then sit. Lays with her head down. Started antibiotic in her water. Been giving with a childs med dropper. Have always given hens electorlites and vitamins in water, along with oyster shell, and commerical feed. Last night picked her up and her vent was contracting. Lubricated it with olive oil. If she has an egg stuck what else can we do? She seemed better last night, but today seems worse. So far none of the other hens seem to be showing any signs of illness.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. Tres Amigas

Tres Amigas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    EA WA - 2 chicken yrs.
    Poor girl. I've never had to do it myself, but tons of people here advise and have used a nice, warm soak to help a girl out. The warmth and relaxation seem to help things move along. Just make sure she doesn't get chilled after. Some people blow them dry on a low setting. Other than that, it sounds like your doing what other folks do to help.
    Good luck with your hen.

3. weinerdog

weinerdog New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    Thanks will give her a warm bath. Fairly warm here today between Seattle and Portland. But will wrap her in a towel. Do you think she is just egg bound or ????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by