RIR--LITTLE eggs??

JudyMcKinn

Songster
13 Years
Jan 24, 2007
SW MO
I have a young neighbor who purchased some RIR chicks from a feed store. They grew to be large, beautiful hens, and he kept one very impressive rooster. (8 hens and 1 roo). They were laying great--7 or 8 eggs a day--and had been laying about 2 or 3 months when I got eggs from him and hatched about 40 chicks. Sold the roos and kept the 19 pullets. They hatched Dec. 15, so now are not quite 4 months old. During the last week, I have gotten 5 eggs. All these eggs are TINY!!!
A little smaller than my Silkie eggs. I realize pullet eggs are usually smaller, but these are LITTLE. Also, I didn't figure RIR's started laying at less than 4 months. The eggs they hatched from were average size--anyone got any ideas about why mine are so small? The chicks have always had fresh water and full feed--chick starter/grower. Now changing them over to layer pellets. Suggestions?

4 months old is a little early. Are your RIR a production strain?

As to the pullet eggs; I have seen them not much bigger around than a nickel. So the size is no surprise at all. The eggs will get bigger.

Take them to layer diet and give them oyster shell free choice.

Judy, I have never had any lay that early. Mine do start out pullet size. At about a year old they lay big ole hunking eggs

Thanks for the replies.
Kstaven--no idea if they are a production strain--as mentioned in my first post, neighbor I got the eggs from got them at a feed store, which I am sure got them from a local hatchery--probably Cackle in nearby Lebanon, or Estes in Springfield. But his grew out nicely, and were laying like gangbusters--decent size eggs, tho they had only been laying a couple months.
Bamachicken--I hope you are right and that they will get bigger, as I sure can't sell this size egg. LOL I was wanting them to increase my layer flock. Maybe it will work out.
Anyone else have any knowledge or suggestions (since I posted this about 2 a.m. when I couldn't sleep, so not many have seen it yet. LOL)
Thanks everyone.

No, I would have to say they are a darker red. Not to the point of being almost black, but certainly not a bright red. Please explain the color thing to me. Do you think the bright red, or the darker red, is best, and why? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom