RIR nesting in front of the nesting boxes?

ChicadOro

Chirping
May 11, 2022
We have starting getting eggs from our Isa Browns about two weeks ago, now we've gotten a few eggs from at least one of our RIR. The Isa Browns have been using 2 of the 3 nesting boxes. I found one of the RIR's eggs in the middle of the coop, then we found one in the nesting box. Yesterday, we put in fresh bedding, and today I noticed both RIRs making nest directly in front of the nesting boxes. I did end up with one more egg in one of those nests, but not the other. We had some eggs shaped rocks, and just today, we put in golf balls. Is there anything else we can do, we're a little limited on space to add other nesting boxes, or can we add some directly in front of the ones there (not ideal, since our nesting boxes open in the back)? We have 9 chickens all together, 3 or about a month younger than the 6. We are sure that 3 of the six are laying, and we have two more that are nearly ready. I really don't want eggs in the coop if we can help it. We have two Isa Browns, two RIR, and two Black Star all the same age, and then we have a green queen, blue copper Maran, and a silver laced Wyandotte, that are a month younger and not ready to lay yet.

Thanks for any suggestions.

we have that issue too. We have 3 generations with 11 total. 5 have just started laying, 3 are middle aged and laying a bit less and 3 who are dowagers and haven't laid in ages I don't think (1 is 8 yrs. old.)
We have 3 nest boxes but 1 lays in the coop pretty regularly. And I just found a secret clutch of 15 eggs that were laid by at least 3 different hens.
People in this thread say they will work it out but it doesn't seem to be the case. If we added 2 more nest boxes wouldn't it cut down on the chasing, intimidating, etc. that they do to each other?
I will float th eggs in the nest I found and crack them 1 at a time but I hate to waste them. I also don't want to be doing this regularly.
Has anyone had success with an idea I haven't thought of?

we have that issue too. We have 3 generations with 11 total. 5 have just started laying, 3 are middle aged and laying a bit less and 3 who are dowagers and haven't laid in ages I don't think (1 is 8 yrs. old.)
We have 3 nest boxes but 1 lays in the coop pretty regularly. And I just found a secret clutch of 15 eggs that were laid by at least 3 different hens.
People in this thread say they will work it out but it doesn't seem to be the case. If we added 2 more nest boxes wouldn't it cut down on the chasing, intimidating, etc. that they do to each other?
I will float th eggs in the nest I found and crack them 1 at a time but I hate to waste them. I also don't want to be doing this regularly.
Has anyone had success with an idea I haven't thought of?
I have 4 nest boxes. 1 can be occupied and other chickens will be looking at the one on the nest as if to hurry her up. There’s 3 more empty spots. Pick one. They don’t.

I have 4 nest boxes. 1 can be occupied and other chickens will be looking at the one on the nest as if to hurry her up. There’s 3 more empty spots. Pick one. They don’t.
Oh good! Mine do that same thing. Every one of 11 hens wants number 1 of 4 boxes and they will lay in front of it. I have removed bedding from there and they still lay there.

Who knows the mind of a hen??? I figure that if they like to lay outside of the box, then whatever. IMO, you really can't control where a hen lays. They are going to do whatever they want to do, and you sure can't stay out in the coop all day waiting for them to start laying so that you can push them into the nesting box. LOL! :)

I think this is part of why I like my girls so much. They always keep me second guessing!

Back
Top Bottom