RIR or Golden Comet Hmm?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenGirl3, Apr 7, 2011.

1. ChickenGirl3

ChickenGirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Hi Everybody,
    I might be able to get three more hens and I already know I want a Blue Cochin Bantam and an EE. I want to get one more but I can't decide, a black Ausralorp, Golden Comet, or RIR ( Rhode Island Red ). I was something to have a high production, large eggs, and a friendly bird.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Australorp VS Golden comet VS RIR [​IMG]

WHO WILL WIN? [​IMG]

2. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    For egg production and a very sweet bird the golden comet is a great bird.
    Australorps are sweet but don't lay well in the winter.
    Can't really tell you about RIR as bought both of mine as adults, neither was friendly and both died within a week if each other.

3. Tres Amigas

Tres Amigas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    EA WA - 2 chicken yrs.
    We have 3 sold to us as Golden Sexlinks, although they're really red. That said, they are very friendly (unless they tire of the dog...peck), lay wonderful big brown eggs, and best of all; have been laying an egg a day each since they started the first week of September (they were hatched in May.) I think two or three days over the winter we only got two eggs, so someone was slackin'. We fully expected to get less eggs over winter and were surprised and pleased. We did not supplement with light or heat. They have had no health issues at all. We've been very happy with them, but they are our first chickens, so have no other experience. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by