RIR? Production red? or Freedom Ranger?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RGreenfamily, Mar 6, 2016.

1. RGreenfamily

RGreenfamily Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    [​IMG]
    This baby is now 14 days old. First pic is 1 day, 2nd about a week and last and top is today. I was sent 25 of these "bonus" chicks with my cornish X. All 25 look identical. We want to keep 1 or 2 as roos.

Question 1-
    Is there anyway to tell if they are RIR, Production Reds, or Freedom Rangers at this point? The hatchery carries all 3.

Question 2: does it differ in what the chicks will look like if I breed him with a barred rock hen, depending on what he is?

Question 3: IS it possible any of them are pullets? How could I tell?

Question 4: And if they are, what would I get when bred with my barred rock Roo?

This is the best forum online! Y'all are always so helpful and friendly. It is great appreciated. I have bred Labrador retrievers for 30 years and totally get those genetics but cannot seem to wrap my brain around poultry, yet. Im trying to make a chart for the children but I think identifying these boys is the first step.

Thank you for all the help.

2. HTChick

HTChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2015
    West Texas
    I got a mixed assortment from McMurray Hatchery Oct 15. I did end up with 3 RIR pullets and they did not have speckles like these chicks. I am not familiar with the other two breeds you mentioned but I am pretty sure you can rule out RIRs. It is probably going to be a while yet before you can pick out the roos.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    They are probably Production Reds. Pure Barred Rock roosters produce 100% barred chicks. There may be some red 'leakage', but most should have predominantly black and white barring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by