RIR Roo?

crc310

Songster
Feb 25, 2013
Michigan
Today I rescued a BSL hen who has 4 three week old adopted RIR (she hatched them). The guy said they were all females. When I got them home, I noticed one has a larger pinker comb... What are the chances it's a male? I can't have a rooster. (Top pic is chick on top of mama in bottom pic)

Last edited:
SOUNDS LIKE A WAIT AND SEE. THE ODDS ARE ABOUT 50/50 IN MOST BROODS. IF THEY WERE SEXED SOON AFTER THEY WERE HATCHED HE HAS A GOOD CHANCE OF BEING RIGHT.

Here is the same chick @ 4 weeks old... They are getting their wattles and this one has red one's like it's comb. The other 3 chicks have different height combs but are flesh colored along with smaller wattles. Still hoping for a girl! *crossing fingers*

So here they are 8 weeks old. I have to find a loving home for the Roos. Guesses? Mine: roo, roo, pullet, pullet. I was told RIR, now thinking they are PR. Why is the last one lighter, is she the only hen? Do I have 3 Roos!?! WORRIED!

No need for guessing. Identify them by their known characteristics.

The cockerels, at this age, are easily identified. Slightly more upright stance, big 'ol red wattles and combs and those big stalky legs.

The pullets at 8 weeks don't show their secondary sex characteristic yet. No red wattles. Smaller, dull yellow combs.
Hatchery grade RIR, and better than many, frankly. Learning is always more fun than guessing.

VickiChicki identified them correctly.

I concure with the ease of sexing the RIR's early. It was easy to see the growth of my roos comb was very fast compared to the girls, He also feathered slower. By 4 weeks it was blantently obvious.
He is the one with his back to the camera. See the lack of feathers compared to the others and the pink, not yellow comb.

Few weeks later... no denying it.

So... Now I need homes for 2 Roos... To someone who will provide forever home and not killing eat them...

I concure with the ease of sexing the RIR's early. It was easy to see the growth of my roos comb was very fast compared to the girls, He also feathered slower. By 4 weeks it was blantently obvious.
He is the one with his back to the camera. See the lack of feathers compared to the others and the pink, not yellow comb.

Few weeks later... no denying it.
That was my same experience and observation of my 1 RIR roo (that I ordered specifically) and 5 RIR hens. They are 8 weeks old yesterday, and there is NO mistaking the roo. I also identified my GLW freebie from the hatchery as a roo, based on the same observations, and also the Black Australorp roo I ordered in my last batch... my hubby is looking at me strange, because we also had a Black Australorp hen in that order, and I was able to pick her out quickly, based on the how quickly all the hens in the order feathered, compared to the roo. I received a GL Polish as my freebie in that order, and she's a hen, too (thank goodness! I wasn't wanting to order a roo for her)... I'll be satisfied with eggs from her. I've got 5 GLW pullets coming in July for the GLW roo, because my hubby likes his appearance so much, and he's seen pictures of the blue iridescent feathers on some of them... he would love it if some of ours turn out that pretty... told him don't hold his breath!

Back
Top Bottom