RIR starting to make me wonder if Ruby is really a Rudy.

StrawberryHouseMouse

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Cleveland, Tennessee
I bought a RIR from the feed store 2 and half weeks ago. We named her Ruby (was suppose to be female) but as Ruby starts feathering out Im starting to wonder if Ruby is a Rudy. She has some pretty rooster like tail feathers.. and behaves very rooster like.

newsilkies2004-1.jpg

newsilkies2006.jpg

newsilkies2007.jpg

newsilkies2011.jpg

newsilkies2013.jpg

I'm kinda, sorta, maybe going with agressive pullet, based upon the still yellow comb. I have some 3 week RIR's and one has a very red comb already. And all of my past RIR hens have been very bossy!

Great !
big_smile.png
I was hoping she was. My hubby picked her out cause he missed our old RIR hen we had at our last house. She was a great cute little hen and he wanted another. And it gives me the chance to get a rooster for our hens still lol

She looks identical to our "Rudy" who we thought was a roo, and ended up being a pullet! LOL! I think they just tend to have redder combs younger than most pullets. Mine also did all the chest bumps with the other chickens, but she has settled down since she has gotten older.

Shelly

P.S.-we kept the name as Rudy, since our Boston Terrier is named Ruby! LOL!

I'm glad your Ruby is a pullet - I have 3 RIR and was worried they were roos but they looks just like yours - yellow combs

Back
Top Bottom