1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR starting to make me wonder if Ruby is really a Rudy.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StrawberryHouseMouse, Apr 26, 2009.

1. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I bought a RIR from the feed store 2 and half weeks ago. We named her Ruby (was suppose to be female) but as Ruby starts feathering out Im starting to wonder if Ruby is a Rudy. She has some pretty rooster like tail feathers.. and behaves very rooster like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm kinda, sorta, maybe going with agressive pullet, based upon the still yellow comb. I have some 3 week RIR's and one has a very red comb already. And all of my past RIR hens have been very bossy!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'm leaning pullet too.

4. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Pullet with attitude not a Roo. She may be top of the pecking order one day. RIR's show combs pretty quick. I think your new chick can still be called Ruby.

5. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Great ! [​IMG] I was hoping she was. My hubby picked her out cause he missed our old RIR hen we had at our last house. She was a great cute little hen and he wanted another. And it gives me the chance to get a rooster for our hens still lol

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Yep that looks like a pullet to me.
    My ~3 week old RIR roos have yet to grow much of a tail, and they started growing combs in the past few days.

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    She looks identical to our "Rudy" who we thought was a roo, and ended up being a pullet! LOL! I think they just tend to have redder combs younger than most pullets. Mine also did all the chest bumps with the other chickens, but she has settled down since she has gotten older.

Shelly

P.S.-we kept the name as Rudy, since our Boston Terrier is named Ruby! LOL!

8. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    I'm glad your Ruby is a pullet - I have 3 RIR and was worried they were roos but they looks just like yours - yellow combs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by